Trump Administration -  Trump chooses impulse over strategy (212 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/12/18 9:56 AM 
To: All  (1 of 6) 
April 12 at 8:48 AM 

In a White House known for chaos, the process of developing the U.S. response to the Syrian government’s alleged latest gas attack was proceeding with uncharacteristic deliberation, including several national security briefings for President Trump. 

But then Wednesday morning, Trump upended it all with a tweet — warning Russia, the Syrian government’s backer, to “get ready” because American missiles “will be coming, nice and new and ‘smart!’ ” 

White House advisers were surprised by the missive and found it “alarming” and “distracting,” in the words of one senior official. They quickly regrouped and, together with Pentagon brass, continued readying Syria options for Trump as if nothing had happened.

On Thursday, Trump left further questions. In a tweet, he added doubt to suggestions that military action in Syria was on a fast track.

“Never said when an attack on Syria would take place. Could be very soon or not so soon at all!” he wrote in a tweet that also noted U.S.-led battlefield successes against the Islamic State.

Reply   Options 

To: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 6) 
 111389.2 in reply to 111389.1 

And why are we getting involved again? Because Assad may have used chemical weapons against some rebels who are mad that he's not an out and out theocrat (IE like Iran). I am not convinced Assad used chemical weapons. He had the rebels on the ropes and the backing of Russia. If anything, these so-called "rebels" fired off some chemical #### at civilians to pin the blame on Assad.

Even if he did, so?

Why should we throw ourselves to the brink of WWIII for people who would not do the same for us? I'd get it if this were a nation that would stick their necks out for us. But these "rebels" will most likely turn on us.

The BEST case scenario here is that Putin backs off, Assad is either killed or captured and put on trial, and we have to rebuild Syria, and play babysitter and try to untangle the thousands of years of blood feuds in THAT country. Which worked soooooooooooo well in Iraq.

And have no money for #### we need to do here.

And for those who are about to call me isolationist, thank you for the compliment.

To: coldstone777  (3 of 6) 
 111389.3 in reply to 111389.2 

WMD WMD WMD!!!! Oh - golly - there's no WMDs........

To: shibumiMC  (4 of 6) 
 111389.4 in reply to 111389.3 

You are obviously a victim of  Russia's disinformation campaign.  AKA A Putin Parrot.

• Edited April 14, 2018 11:55 am  by  factotam

To: factotam  (5 of 6) 
 111389.5 in reply to 111389.4 

the poster is being sarcastic..

To: albatler  (6 of 6) 
 111389.6 in reply to 111389.5 

So was I, but it is good to see you take up for your Canadian buddy, good job.  

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.