Elections & Voting -  Iowa fiasco: results not in, yet (243 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostFeb-4 10:06 AM 
To: All  (1 of 31) 

on the plus side, maybe time to get rid of caucuses. No electronic voting without paper trail backup, either

Huffpost:

WEST DES MOINES, Iowa ? The takeaway of the Iowa caucuses Monday night was not who won the first contest in the nation. It was instead a story of confusion and chaos as the Iowa Democratic Party failed to release the results at all for hours after the caucuses ended. 

At 11:30 p.m., Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) was the first candidate to come out and address her supporters, admitting that she, too, was in the dark about what was taking so long. The other candidates delivered speeches to their own supporters shortly thereafter, all acknowledging that they had no answers. 

“Let me begin by saying, I imagine ? have a strong feeling, that at some point, the results will be announced. And when those results will be announced, I have a good feeling that we’ll be doing very, very well here in Iowa,” said Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.). 

The Iowa Democratic Party insisted that, in short, the system they put in place to report the results didn’t work out. It was too slow, overloaded and led to delays. The party tried to reassure people that there was no hacking of the system, pointing instead to “inconsistencies” in three sets of caucus results. 

Reply   Options 

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostFeb-4 11:45 AM 
To: All  (2 of 31) 
 119469.2 in reply to 119469.1 

Now election officials say the problem is a coding error 

Click Below for my Forums:

To: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 31) 
 119469.3 in reply to 119469.1 

I can see it now. We're at the convention in Milwaukee. All five of the viable candidates who zipped on to NH without anyone dropping out continued on all the way to the convention, especially after Bloomberg entered on Super Tuesday, and muddied the waters even further.

We are now starting the fourth ballot, when Tom Perez's attention is suddenly drawn to his phone. He suspends the gavel he was about to pound in mid-pose and reads his message. Then he announces. "There will be a short pause, while we evaluate the results of the Iowa Caucus, which have just been announced."

--

But seriously folks . . . sorry. There's nothing to be serious about. 

--Leslie-- Currently in New York City: Click for New York, New York Forecast

To: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 31) 
 119469.4 in reply to 119469.2 

Coding error, huh? Or was the program confused by the applause Katy Tur was getting for running around the gym.

--Leslie-- Currently in New York City: Click for New York, New York Forecast

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostFeb-4 1:29 PM 
To: LB136 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 31) 
 119469.5 in reply to 119469.3 

As I recall, last time Hillary won Iowa by 0.5% but Bernie got one more delegate because they are allocated by precinct. And there were a bunch of controversies about coin tosses, etc.

From: Black Cat (NYTSHADE) DelphiPlus Member IconFeb-4 1:41 PM 
To: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 31) 
 119469.6 in reply to 119469.1 

It's over.  Just call the entire thing off because after all this time and all this confusion, no results will be legitimate.  Some Bernie person was on Twitter last night claiming that their volunteers were counting the votes themselves, as if that's the way democracy is supposed to work.  And Joe wrote a strongly-worded letter.  Okay, boomer...  Pete claimed victory without a single vote being counted - which made him look like a fool.

The only person who won last night was Trump.  Big time!

And yeah, get rid of the damned caucus.

From: Black Cat (NYTSHADE) DelphiPlus Member IconFeb-4 1:43 PM 
To: LB136 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 31) 
 119469.7 in reply to 119469.3 

The Iowa delegation should not be allowed to cast votes at the convention because obviously the system failed and no one can trust the results which are announced, not should they.

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostFeb-4 2:12 PM 
To: Black Cat (NYTSHADE) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 31) 
 119469.8 in reply to 119469.7 

Maybe they should schedule another one, but count actual ballots instead of people spendIng all night moving around and listening to campaign pitches. Most states would allow it as long as party pays for it and does the counting

From: Black Cat (NYTSHADE) DelphiPlus Member IconFeb-4 2:46 PM 
To: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 31) 
 119469.9 in reply to 119469.8 

The only time I've ever heard of an election re-do is when it was conclusively shown that there were shenanigans.  Like that contest in NC a couple years ago.  The problem with Iowa is that by this point, nothing can be proven at all because the vote count simply vanished into cyberspace and enough time has passed for anybody to manipulate the results.

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostFeb-4 2:51 PM 
To: Black Cat (NYTSHADE) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 31) 
 119469.10 in reply to 119469.9 

You are too quick to believe there was shenanigans. I think they added the electronic component before testing it properly and there is a paper trail for every ballot - every caucusgoer has to fill one out. A friend in West Des Moines was there. Also, Aulus was at the caucuses, too. Maybe he will stop by and weigh in

• Edited February 4, 2020 2:58 pm  by  Marci (marcinmin)

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 31
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.