News & General Discussion -  Biden marks 500k COVID deaths (202 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostFeb-23 9:39 AM 
To: All  (1 of 11) 

a very moving and poignant address

President Joe Biden marked the grim milestone of 500,000 lives lost to the Covid-19 pandemic in a brief but poignant address to the nation Monday evening, drawing on his own personal tragedies as a rhetorical salve for a country still combating the deadly disease.

"That's more Americans who've died in one year in this pandemic than in World War I, World War II, and the Vietnam War combined. That's more lives lost to this virus than any other nation on Earth," Biden said. "But as we acknowledge the scale of this mass death in America, we remember each person and the life they lived."

The president said he keeps a card in his pocket every day with the tally of those who have died from Covid-19.

"The people we lost were extraordinary," Biden said. "We have to resist becoming numb to the sorrow." As Biden highlighted the hundreds of thousands who have perished, he also urged Americans to remember those still reeling from having lost loved ones.

Reply   Options 

To: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 11) 
 124263.2 in reply to 124263.1 

I haven't heard a presidential address that good since Reagan's day. Admittedly, it didn't have the shining, stumble-free tones of Reagan, but Biden's slight fumbles here and there only made it better. It made him more human.

--Leslie-- Currently in New York City: Click for New York, New York Forecast

From: David (DAVEBUTLER) DelphiPlus Member IconFeb-23 12:01 PM 
To: LB136 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 11) 
 124263.3 in reply to 124263.2 

We might just have us a presidential President! What a change.

To: David (DAVEBUTLER) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 11) 
 124263.4 in reply to 124263.3 

I think Joe is just what we need. He's tough; he's seen it all; he cares.

From: Black Cat (NYTSHADE) DelphiPlus Member IconFeb-24 12:46 PM 
To: LB136 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 11) 
 124263.5 in reply to 124263.4 

America is back.

To: Black Cat (NYTSHADE) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 11) 
 124263.6 in reply to 124263.5 

And just like that, the NYT declares Covid over. The narrative changes--slowly, clumsily, backfillingly. But change it does.

NORMALCY NEAR, <- Declaration of narrative change

RESEARCHERS SAY, <- Find researchers who will support the narrative change

IF U.S. IS CAREFUL. <- Backfilling

LOOKING TO THE SUMMER <- Another narrative change possible

Concerns Over Variants

and Social Behaviors <- We're not sure about these variants, so let's stay a bit hysterical and remind people they must continue to cower a while longer

Dent Optimism

Bottom Line: Act Five of Covid Theater starts now!

_________

And then, and then. 

Nursing Homes See 80% Drop in Virus Cases

_____

Vaccines Transforming Former Hot Spots

Thus endeth the nursing home subplot

And, Al, stand by for your Haiku of the Week!

Normalcy is Near

Researches say still be careful

Eyes are on the Summer

From: Black Cat (NYTSHADE) DelphiPlus Member IconFeb-26 12:23 PM 
To: LB136 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 11) 
 124263.7 in reply to 124263.6 

The availability of a safe, effective vaccine changes things.  Of course there are still headlines every single day about how the scariants....er....variants are going to throw us all back to the times of no toilet paper, but the truth is that the process of creating these new vaccines allows us to make necessary changes very quickly.  If there's any silver lining to this disaster, it's that we've taken these things from Victorian to 21st century tech.

And the media will reflect that.  The constant drumbeat of doom from the media was wearing on people.  I'm ready for hope - I want to see ads on TV that have people without masks.  I want to see two people at a political show table without having to use a wide-angle lens.  And I know things will never be the same, but I just want to be able to go out the front door without checking for The Wolf first...

To: Black Cat (NYTSHADE) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 11) 
 124263.8 in reply to 124263.7 

Exactly right! If I'm the cable networks I get guests back in the studio, now, even if they have to seat them far apart. And surely the reporters can do standups outside without masks when there is no one around. It's time to end Covid theater. As we start March, the NYT reports 15% of the population has had one shot, 7.5% two. Now the J&J is being shipped, and I'd take an educated guess that we'll have 35% or more with two shots or the J&J by April. Then we can start figuring out when herd immunity will have been achieved.

It's the wind blowing free,
It's the end of the slope,
It's a beam, it's a void,
It's a hunch, it's a hope

And the river bank talks
of the waters of March,
It's the end of the strain,
The joy in your heart

From: Black Cat (NYTSHADE) DelphiPlus Member IconMar-1 1:41 PM 
To: LB136 DelphiPlus Member Icon unread  (9 of 11) 
 124263.9 in reply to 124263.8 

We're already seeing the effects.  It won't be a huzzah! moment where the disease just stops, but as the bug finds fewer and fewer receptive targets, fewer and fewer cases will happen.  And then the effects are exponential.  Covid is almost certainly endemic now - it will never go away, but with vaccines and ordinary common sense, it will become the new ordinary flu.  In September we'll all start hearing on TV that it's time to schedule your appointment for you flu and Covid shots.  Talk shows will stop putting up graphics of states in shades of gruesome red indicating how many have suffered.  And then all of us will have a magical day when we stop constantly thinking about viruses.  We can take the masks out of our pockets and leave the hand sanitizer at home.

From: David (DAVEBUTLER) DelphiPlus Member IconMar-1 2:02 PM 
To: Black Cat (NYTSHADE) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 11) 
 124263.10 in reply to 124263.9 

A day without Fauci would be nice, too. As much as I admire him, he's been spending an awful lot of time on CNN and MSNBC.

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.