Former Defense Sec. portrays himself as a brave behind the scenes warrior who successfully swatted down Trump's dangerous & craziest ideas
Former Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Sunday that he regularly had to “swat” down dangerous ideas while he served under former President Donald Trump, including military action against Venezuela, strikes in Iran and a potential blockade of Cuba.
In an interview with “60 Minutes,” Esper said he felt like he and other military leaders in the White House had to frequently prevent calamity.
“It’s important to our country, it’s important to the republic, the American people, that they understand what was going on in this very consequential period. The last year of the Trump administration,” Esper said. “And to tell the story about things we prevented. Really bad things. Dangerous things that could have taken the country in a dark direction.”
“These ideas would happen, it seemed, every few weeks,” he added. “Something like this would come up and we’d have to swat ’em down.”