2KevR

Kevin's Forum for Users of 2020

Hosted by 2KevR|www.CatalogPros.com

A site for users of 20-20 Kitchen Design Software.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Data Recovery Able To Restore 2020 Files   General

Started Sep-14 by srbstratton; 384 views.
srbstratton

Sep-14

I had a flash drive go bad on me and I am desperate for help.  I bought some online software that I was able to use to pull up pdf's and some photos off of the flash drive, but I can't get the .kit and bak. files off of it.  Does anyone know of a data recovery software that is able to do that?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I've lost a month's worth of work.  

langensiepen

Sep-16

You don't mention which software you bought. Easeus do a decent tool and Disk Drill gets decent reviews but you might be out of luck. A professional data recovery service might be able to recover more especially since the drive seems to be accessible (you have already recovered some data off it).

I know it is too late but there are a couple of things to bear in mind:

1) Electronic items die - frequently without warning. I maintain some cloud storage accounts for this reason and don't have to worry about the contents of my USB drives.

2) NEVER try data recovery on the original - make a copy first. There are utilities out there that allow you to clone a drive or to create a virtual clone image and it is this copy that you work on and not the original - once you write to the original drive, you stand a good chance of destroying more data.

srbstratton

Sep-17

Thanks for the reply.  I actually have a 4TB backup drive that I use to backup all of my files, but have just failed to do it over the past couple of months due to just being too busy.  Lesson learned the hard way. 

As for making a copy of the drive, I learned that the hard way as well.  I didn't have a clue and didn't make a copy before using the recovery software and now the only way to recover it is to have Best Buy send it off to someone to try and rebuild the files on it.  The price for that service STARTS at $500.00 and can go as high as $1,200.00.  And there are no guarantees that it can even be done.  That being said, it looks like I am just going to be redrawing jobs.  Thanks again for all of your suggestions.  Hopefully there won't be a next time, but it's good information to have just in case.  

langensiepen

Sep-17

If you want to image the USB and upload it, I'll be happy to have a go. Use this to image the drive: https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

Upload it to Google Drive, Dropbox or any other file sharing service where you have sufficient capacity and send me the link.

I'll then mount the image or burn to a USB and try some of my recovery utilities. No charge but if I succeed you can buy me a drink if we are ever in the same location.

Msg 3781.5 deleted
srbstratton

Sep-25

Can't thank you enough for the offer langensiepen, but I'm afraid the ability to do what you are asking is over my head.  I downloaded the program, but couldn't figure out how to do what it wants me to do.  I'm at the point that I am going to call it a loss and be done with it.  But again, I am super grateful that you were even willing to go to the trouble.  I'll still gladly buy you that drink if you are ever in the Lexington, Kentucky area.  :)

langensiepen

Sep-25

Well just put the drive to the side for a moment and I'll figure out what you need to do and send exact instructions - it's worth a go!

Thanks for the drink offer - it might turn out to be a long session   ;-)

Msg 3781.8 deleted