2KevR

Kevin's Forum for Users of 2020 Design

Hosted by 2KevR|www.CatalogPros.com

A site for users of 20-20 Kitchen Design Software.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Service packs for version 9   Version 9

Started Sep-22 by ellenmc2; 465 views.
ellenmc2

Sep-26

Thank you so much. I’ll check my version, but it’s probably not the latest, I remember having to download service packs. I’m also going to go through an old external hard drive this weekend to see if I have anything there. I’ll let you know if I will need yours. Thanks again.

Do you think I’ll have a lot of problems without the updates?

langensiepen

Sep-27

Depends which version you have. Every time 2020 patched something, it seemed to break something else. V9.1.1.466 was pretty darn stable though.

ellenmc2

Oct-27

Hi,

I finally have 9.0 re-installed. I have an update called 9.1, not sure if it's  V9.1.1.466 or not? However, when I try updating to 9.1, I get the message, "Setup has detected your license is no longer on support" and it wants me to contact 2020 to activate my key. I'm not sure what to do. I'm afraid to contact them as I no longer pay for support. If I call, are they going to lock me out of even the 9.0 version? I used to run 9.1 without problems.

langensiepen

Oct-28

I don't think they can legally lock you out of V9.0 so I wopuld contact them and ask them for the last version that you can use for your key (give them your key number). It's not possible for them to lock you out of the version you have now as the key codes have to be updated manually.

Give them some #### about being re-employed in K&B and are considering upgrading but need access to your old drawings.

I only have 9.1.1.466 otherwise I'd upload an earlier copy. 

ellenmc2

Oct-28

Great, I’ll give them a call. Thanks for the information.

ellenmc2

Oct-29

Ugh, so I called support and they are telling me that I bought 2020 in 2010 and my key doesn't support version 9.1, only 9 and that there are no service packs for 9.

Am I totally remember this wrong? I could have sworn I was running 9.1. I remember there being a couple of service packs.

Is it possible I used someone else's key to install 9.1, then used my own key to continue using 9.1? 

How unstable was 9? Whatever version I had  seemed stable. I didn't have any issues that couldn't be fixed by just deleting registries.

langensiepen

Oct-29

9 was pretty stable and I don't remember any service packs. I'd just persevere. We had to re-install 9 and 9.1.1.466 occasionally and this was made worse by the uninstaller not clearing everything out but that's not a hard fix.

If they aren't asking for too much money, I'd consider moving to V12 when it comes out. There are negatives for sure but the rendering is miles ahead. You would probably need a new PC though. This is only a suggestion as I don't know your personal circumstances.

Have you tried asking in the Facebook forum? The amazing Bill Zielinski is in there as well as other VERY experienced 2020 users. https://www.facebook.com/groups/2020PUG/

ellenmc2

Oct-29

I didn't know about the Facebook group, but I'll check it out. 

So the reason I'm in this mess is because I quit my kitchen design/sales job at a horrible company and now need to go back to 2020 freelancing for hopefully no more than a year and a half.  Then I hope to not have to use 2020 after that. As a freelancer, I have to look for new clients, but it looks like I will no longer have the ability to open newer files, or send clients my older files- so that could be prohibitive.

Do you know what the cut off is, in being able to retro open files- ie; v9 vs 10 or 11? I'm not able to open files from version 11, but I'm not sure about 10. Will clients be able to open my files who are on a newer version? I'm guessing, unless it's less than $500 US to upgrade to version 12, that it wouldn't make sense to do that?

How much could it be?

I do have a new computer which is part of this whole conundrum. I had an old Mac which was running out of hard drive space and I deleted everything related to 2020 and windows, thinking I would no longer need it. But since I quit my job, I got a new Mac. 

I'm just trying to mitigate further expenses, but need to be able to keep myself afloat for a while.

I now found an old install file I had that says 9.03. Is it possible that's a service pack?

Related but not, I wasn't able to get 2020 running at first and thought it was because I was using a hub with the dingle, so I purchased an emulator. Turned out it runs with the hub. Oh well.

langensiepen

Oct-29

2020 is backwards compatible. 11 will open 10 and 9, 10 will open 9. 9 can't open anything newer but you should be able to open 9.1 etc. Generally you should be OK as long as on the same V number - the bits after the decimal just mean fixes and not file structure changes.

12 is a pay per year version and not cheap - over $1,300 a year I think. 12 should be able to open all earlier files.

I'd give the 9.03 a go. What are you using on the Mac to run Windows? Fusion? Parallels? That may be the source of your issue. I've not had a problem even running V9 on Windows 10. I do run multiple Virtual Machines including a Windows 7/V9.1.1.466 combo. Windows XP on the Mac should be fast and should run V9 without any issues.

Good luck with finding a job and freelancing.

ellenmc2

Oct-29

Ok, so a client with a newer version will be able to open my older version, but I can't open theirs if it's newer, correct?

I'm running Parallels/Windows 10 64 bit/V9. Previously, without problem I ran Parallels/Windows 7/ V9.xx

I haven't activated my new Windows yet, so I could go back to an earlier version. Do you think that would help?

What would happen if someone bought v12 for a year? Could they continue with that version for a while? Considering I paid 4k for V9 and didn't get 9.1, maybe v12 for $1,300 wouldn't be the end of the world?