Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

Rescues: What To Do w/Auction Tags?   General: Horse-related

Started by Guest; 83 views.

11/14/07

I have what might be a dumb idea or a decent one: I normally don't save auction tags from the horses I've rescued, but for some reason I've saved 3 from this last auction.  So many of them usually are torn, shredded, or are too dirty once they're removed.

Would any other rescues like to try a fundraiser for hay or ? by auctioning off what a lot of us call "butt tags?"  Maybe we can raise a little for hay or vetting or other needs our individual rescues have by all getting together to do this, or by doing our own individual thing?

I would love feedback, if anyone is interested in this idea -

Msg 2 of 25 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 1
swedishkat

11/14/07

I don't know HOW the butt-tags could raise money - but if you come up with an idea, I saved the two from my first auction, for some reason - I don't know exactly WHY... I think, because I thought they were so horrible that I ripped them off the horses as soon as we were in the parkinglot... And also as a "memory", so I would never forget the horror of the auction and encourage me to go back and do it again...  Kat
Msg 3 of 25 to GuestGuest 
gal1231

11/14/07

Actually this idea was brought up before with Margaret and the horses coming from Centennial auction. We thought it would be a cool fundraiser for the rescues. I know the butt tags are often see as a negative symbol at auction but it is also a symbol of victory for those horses that are saved. Another FOB thought that if you took a picture of the horse that had been purchased by the rescue and had it accompanied with the but tag and framed that you could possible auction them off. I know some people may think its a horrible idea but I think its a good one. Any new ideas to fundraise are good ones. BTW I am still planning on purchasing some calenders to help with the haty fund.

Amanda

11/14/07

I used to destroy all of them, I felt similarly about them being a "negative" association.  But I also feel it's a badge of heroism for them too, that they've survived.  I think there might be something creative we can do with them - as you mentioned, a photo of the saved horse, with the auction tag as a reminder of where that horse may have gone, if it weren't for FOBs and rescues.

Anyone who has some creative abilities could use them for an anti-slaughter scrapbook or ?  I'm open to any ideas here, I'm not the most creative individual around!

11/14/07

I'm not coming up with any terrific ideas here, Kat, but I think something creative can come from these "badges" of shame they had to wear once.  Just Amanda said, they are also badges of victory over being fated for slaughter.  If anything, we can save them to include them in scrapbooks, an anti-slaughter promotional poster, or ?

Msg 6 of 25 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 5

I don't know how to use them to make any money per se, but I just wanted to chime in that I save all of ours and add them to the horses record folder.  I offer them to the adopter in case they are into scrapbooking.  I just think they are neat, and I have a positive association...it's a banner that reads "I Survived!"

Christine/Gentle Giants

Msg 7 of 25 to GuestGuest 
SusanE830

11/15/07

Or show them to Reps and Senators.

11/15/07

I had thought about giving them to someone who might one - I only have 3 right now, the 4th is Laura's mare's tag, and I believe she may want her "butt tag."  I do know she saved Passion's feedlot tag.   If more people want tags than I have to give, how do I pick who to give them to?  Maybe put them in a jar and draw names?  I honestly don't know if anyone might want one, but then I've never asked!

I would love to create an anti-slaughter poster of some kind with one, if I had the time to put something together.  The horses who wore them are truly heroes.

11/15/07

I think, like our words, the messages from those auction tags would not be received or appreciated.  I am very pessimistic about any support from Idaho representatives and senators coming any time in the near future!
Msg 10 of 25 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 9

11/15/07

I'd love to do an air drop over the Senate of tags attached to photos! Imagine....
Thank-you for saving her(Laura's) tag....
I know it's weird but I carry Passions tag with me. For luck or comfort perhaps, that impossible things can be achieved.
: )