Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

Joe at TB Friends needs HELP!!!   Horse Rescue Issues

Started by Guest; 23463 views.

11/28/07

Please read Joe's journal this morning.  So many owners are contacting Joe to give their horses away in California.  He is such a good man to try and help them all by getting the word out.

ALSO---Joe said to call him if you would like to save a horse on a feedlot!!  This is a great offer for us Californians who have been shipping in rescues off of feedlots out of state.

www.tbfriends.com

Joe Shelton's phone # 530-383-2120

In reply toRe: msg 1
gwenrowdi

11/28/07

California horses seem to be getting particular hard-hit.  Please take a few minutes a day to read Joe's daily journal as posted above in the previous post; once you start you won't want to miss it.  The url for the TB Friends yahoo support group: 

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/FriendsofTBFriends/?yguid=103074614

This group puts together projects like hay, grain and supplies to help TB Friends help California's horses.

In reply toRe: msg 2
Audreyd11

11/28/07

This is all very sad and very sickening. Wish I had a magic lamp!!
In reply toRe: msg 3

11/28/07

Just a suggestion

Is there a person with a camera close to Joes..can anybody put together the effort to get images of these horses..ANY Of THEM..posted to this central site???

It doesnt cost anything to put images up here on this thread.......at every saddlery, Petstore, Feed store, and up on every Calif. rescues website and get the word out!

Could anybody get the contacts from Joe and ask each person for an image of their horse?

The weather here in Calif is still sunny and 71 degrees...People will shop for horses if they know they're out there!

I am the Founder of Pregnant Mare Rescue, ( Santa Cruz Area) and I am completely full with 6 new arrivals next week..But..When they are in new homes my effort will focus towards helping out this horrible situation.

Ps...I keep seeing that killer buyer who taunts Joe hanging by his neck strung up with a pair of ....panties!

Hope I dont get in trouble for that!

11/28/07

Hi Gwen,

Do you think "friends of TB friends" could post photos of some of the horses that Joe is trying to help?  I read that your group works on some really great projects to help Joe and Cathy. 

I spoke to a friend of mine who has been to the Roseville auction.  She said they won't let you take photos of horses on the feedlot.  It's a real shame we can't give those horses more exposure before they are shipped. 

After I've rehomed a couple of my rescues, Joe is the guy I will call to save one off the feedlot.  I would trust him completely to pick one out for me!  No need to see a photo.

I joined your group today, so I will see how I can help.

Stephanie

Msg 6 of 2584 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 5
gwenrowdi

11/29/07

No, I would definitely not display a camera at one of those dump auctions; and someone taking photos during a feedlot rescue caused a lot of problems for Joe (or more specifically, the horses he was trying to help) several months ago, per his daily journal.

You could always e-mail Joe and ask him if it would be practical for him to put up photos on his site of horses that are needing new homes; the photos I've always seen on his page are of horses that are already safe.

Welcome to all FOBs who have joined the yahoo group Friends of TB Friends!

11/29/07

Gwen, Laura (Passionsmom on this forum) had a fantastic idea that she shared with me not long ago.  Her idea was to start a program in her area in WA for boarding stables and training facilities to charge a nominal extra board fee per horse resident to offset housing a rescue until a home can be found.  I think this idea of hers is wonderful, do you think contacting some facilities to suggest this idea might help some of these horses get somewhere safe to buy them time?

11/29/07

I just read Joe's blog, and just thinking about how "effective" the California ban against horse slaughter has been.  What a tragic joke.  I see it as a mirror for what would happen if federal legislation passes - I figure it'll be the same damned thing, but on a much, much larger scale.  If it ever even gets to the floor for a vote.

Msg 9 of 2584 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 8

11/29/07

mstghearts -

I admire you for taking in horses in need, but I have to totally disagree with your post about a federal ban on horse slaughter adversely affecting the number of horses needing homes. There is a severe hay shortage and poor economy causing this situation (cows are affected too), as well as the highly publicized and devestating fires in CA. Many other factors exist that are causing this to happen.

I have done a LOT of research on the NON-relationship of a ban on slaughter to an increase in horse neglect, abuse and abandonment cases, and California actually PROVES that if we ban the heinous act of horse slaughter, both horse theft and neglect/abuse/abandonment decreases...The decrease in theft is higher than reported in most articles, at 39.5% decrease in CA after a ban was enacted. That means many horse-owners were able to sleep better at night because of this fact.

The federal Bill definitely WILL get to the floor, but maybe not in the way we think. This will happen, because the momentum has been highly in our favor for the past several weeks, and we have Senators and House Rep's confirming this is the case.

And when it does pass - and it will - We will experience horses that were caught in the "slaughter pipeline" for a short time after the ban, but there will be a positive change in the *right* direction for the safety and welfare of our horses, as the "supply" will no longer be needed for the foreign "demand" of horsemeat - The kill buyers will no longer have to lie, cheat and steal to collect horses to maim, kill and destroy.

JMHO -

Thank you for reading,

Michelle in NC

Msg 10 of 2584 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Juliet9386

11/29/07

If you want to see what is going on with horses at least in my area, you can look at Bayequest http://www.bayequest.com/ and see how many horses are listed for sale. It's tragic. There are a number of issues, from my perspective, that are impacting the number of calls Joe is getting.

We are on the verge of a drought, means hay prices will be astronomical, there is a shortage of available land at an affordable price, and with the sub-prime market mess, California has been especially hard hit, when you realize that the median price of a house where I am is north of $700K.

So, people are tossing their horses.... it breaks my heart.

Just my .02....