Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

OHIO OTTB's NEED HELP   Horse Rescue Issues

Started by Guest; 26 views.

6/2/08

I received this email just now, and really want to help this person. Can anyone out there help? Any ideas? The owner is wanting to do the right thing. We have room for one but no funding . Please if anyone has an idea let me know !!!

Brenda

We currently have "retired" or soon to be retired racehorses that are in need of rehoming.  They are all sound and current with all their shots and worming.  I have contacted several "thoroughbred rescues" in Ohio and have received no response from them.

I am looking to have these horses adopted and reschooled in another discipline if possible, as I don't want to be "norm" and send them to auction.  I just can't.  They have been very good to me over the years and they most certainly deserve a better fait then what happens to the majority of racehorses after they leave the track.

If you would be interested in any of these guys and gals or could direct me to someone in Ohio that would give them a safe, secure place to spend the rest of their days, it would be most appreciated.

I currently have a 12 year old broodmare (she can't go until Sept or Oct as she is nursing)
name "Go Queenie Go" I have several babies out of her and I need to retire her as I have to change the bloodlines a bit.

4 year old filly - "Moonlite Marie" - she tore the sheath covering on her lower right leg last spring, I sent her out to ATI in Wooster to have bred, she didn't take, brought her home and she needs to find a home that has only an experienced rider (no young children please) she is still too gamey.  She would do well in hunt/jump.

3 year old gelding - "Cee Me Make It"  - He just doesn't have the heart to be a racehorse.  He's too much a lover and still wants to play and take life easy. He would do well in any discipline

3 year old gelding - "Marked Ruler" - He is very well trained, refused to leave the gate, He can be retrained, but I'm not sure he "digs" his job, soooo.... He would make an excellent Hunt/Jumper or endurance horse as he can run forever, just not really, really fast for a racehorse

7 year old "Stately Clock" - This horse will be the hardest to place, as all the youngsters listed above he helped train and he has always been my "model racehorse".  He is retiring sound and many people at the racetrack want him for a ponyhorse as he is very tall and stable, but I would like for him to do something else and be free of the "racetrack world"  He could run a race, come home, rest and walk out to pasture and roll around, you can place a child on him and he will walk so slow and never do anything wrong. He is as close to perfect as you could ever ask for.  He is all "class".  He deserves a life of leisure around someone's farm munching grass and "working on occaision"  He has walked almost every horse park in Ohio, trail road in pa, come home, rested and run a race at Mountaineer or Woodbine.  He has treated me very, very well and he has been a very good friend, so I am very concerned what happens to him.

• Edited 6/2/2008 4:01 pm ET by Brenda (horserescu)
Msg 2 of 58 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 1
midknight1

6/2/08

Brenda, can you send to Rachael Paris (srparis2) and also to Diana (mousemistress).  They may be able to put out the word and help with placement for these horses.

Jen

6/2/08

Thank you !!!

6/2/08

How do I find their contact info?
midknight1

6/2/08

Rachael, I'm directing this to you.  Can you put out the word on your contact list to  help place these OTTBs.  Thanks. 

Jen

midknight1

6/2/08

Diana, can you send this info out to your contacts.  These OTTBs need placement help.

Jen

Msg 7 of 58 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 1
MaryLOhio

6/2/08

Stately Clock is ONE Awesome horse..   Who ever gets him will have one terrific horse!!   

6/2/08

Thank you all for helping. It is wonderful that an owner cares enough to want to do the right thing. I hope we can help !!
Msg 9 of 58 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 8
really920

6/2/08

Hey Brenda did you email them back and tell them you are spreading the word?

Also you could contact New Vocations  www.horseadoption.com/ and give them the list of horses to see if they may be able to help.

I will email Gail the link to this thread too!!!

midknight1

6/2/08

Great idea Lucille :)!

Jen