MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

TRF/Inmates Saving OTTB's   Horse Rescue Issues

Started by Weldon54; 13 views.
Weldon54

7/6/08

The Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation has programs in many states now, where OTTB's can go to prison facilities for rehabbing, retraining and rehoming. The program is very successful for horses and inmates starting a new life and career.

The TRF always needs your donations. You can go here to read about their progams and farms: http://www.trfinc.org/

You can go here to watch a video of their farms that are located at prison facilities nationwide: http://www.bloodhorse.com/Videos/SectionVideo/739bf90c-66ee-4635-89cf-4fdaa6a861f8.htm

Their goal is to have prison rehab farms for OTTB's in every state. Barns are built by inmates with wood that is harvested from prison land. Hay and grain are grown on the prison farms. Without donations these programs cannot continue to expand, nor save more OTTB's.

Faye

midknight1

7/6/08

Thanks for posting Faye.  There is a rescue near me that has been using Graterford prison grounds for their horses and I understand that they have very dedicated inmates that love taking care of the horses.  Graterford is a maximum security prison about 25 miles from Philadelphia and has over 1000 acres that was once used for farming.  I can't think of a better use for that land than helping horses in need.

Jen

Weldon54

7/6/08

Jen, I agree. If the land is just sitting there, then why not use it? Is this rescue affiliated with the TRF? Or, is it a local rescue? We have a TRF run program in my state, at Wateree Correctional Center, that has been very successful.

I love this program! I spoke on the phone with the director of the program, and the man who actually started the first program, at Walkill Prison in New York several years ago. We talked for 2 hours! He couldn't have been any nicer, nor more willing to share his experience.

I've been watching this program grow over the years and I believe it is one of the best ways to help our OTTB's.

Faye

midknight1

7/6/08

Faye, it is affiliated with a local rescue and has been in existance for a while.  I agree - I can't think of a better use for the land.  They stopped farming back in the 70's, so why not use it for something productive.

Jen

really920

7/6/08

This is wonderful thanks for sharing.
mousemistres

7/6/08

I agree. Why not use this land to help the horses and the prisoners at the same time ? I remember reading about a program out west I think, where the prisoners worked with wild mustangs. They learned a trade, horse training and care, and the horses were much more adoptable after being trained. I could envision the prisoners learning all sorts of trades associated with horses: vet techs, trainers, blacksmiths, use of farm equipment, etc. The horses really make a difference in their lives, and the horses are being helped also. Society as a whole benefits from programs such as this. Excellent work.
godmom2

7/6/08

I saw a news segment on one of the TRF equine/prisoner programs.  They interviewed one of the inmates who was scheduled to be released in the following week.

He didn't want to go!

He had tears in his eyes, because he didn't want to leave the horse he had become so attached to.  It was extremely heartwarming.

He was determined to figure out a way to either work back at the equine facility as a 'civilian' or find some other way to work with horses when he started his new life.

I wish more people realized that horses have such wisdom and soul and are so good for humans.  This inmate definitely 'got it.'

mousemistres

7/6/08

Yes, horses and other animals connect with we humans on a level that is hard to explain. That's one of the reasons Equitherapy is so successful with the handicapped as well. Just look at the joy on a child's face when riding or grooming a therapy horse. Nothing can take it's place.

A friend of mine takes her dogs to the "psych ward" of a local hospital every month. The residents really look forward to these visits; it makes their day when the dogs come to see them.

There is a reason God created animals and asked us to take care of them. It is good for us, physically, mentally, and spiritually.