MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussion

Sterling Gold (Won $500K+) For Sale $300   Horse Rescue Issues

Started by MaryAinMI; 24 views.
MaryAinMI

7/17/08

Everyone,

We have another stakes winner that needs our help rather desperately.  Sterling Gold has won $506,716 and is now for sale for $300.  Here he is:  http://www.usho.org/Sterling.html

As you can see from the write up, he has a bad fetlock.  Our own Joy ("aten5") became aware of this boy recently.  She was told the owner is getting extremely impatient to have the horse gone.  Joy has (amazingly) found him a 2-week temporary spot to stay but we still need to find him a permanent home.  That temporary home is for two weeks maximum.

I'm hoping you guys will consider making pledges (no actual donations yet) until we get the details worked out as to Sterling Gold's purchase, vetting, and transport (to his 2-week home) as well as food and medical  treatment support while there.

In all honesty, I have no firm numbers yet for how much everything is going to cost.  I don't even know what that injury is or what it will ultimately require.  Surgery?  Will we be able to find a thoroughbred retirement spot?  Will they be able to pay for surgery if required?  I just don't know.  But I thought I'd throw this out now for everyone to see and think about.

Joy and others are looking for a permanent spot for him.  He is wait-listed at New Vocations, but may not be able to go there depending on what the leg injury is determined to be. 

Let's try to raise pledges totaling $500 - $300 for purchase and $200 for immediate costs for vet, transport, 2 week home - and I will fine tune that as I get more information today. 

Please do whatever you can for this boy.  And know that whatever you do, it's about 100% more hope for a good life after the track than many of the folks who shared in that $506,716 have given him so far.

Thanks, FOBs!!

betonbill

7/17/08

I'm good for $20 at least. 
Bobcinpa

7/17/08

Mary,
Count me and John Henry in. He just loves 9YO bay geldings. :)
MaryAinMI

7/17/08

BetonBill!!  Bob!!  Thank you so much! 

midknight1

7/17/08

Mary, I will pledge $25.

Jen

MaryAinMI

7/17/08

Jen - thank you!!
midknight1

7/17/08

How much do we have so far Mary and how much more to go?

jen

MaryAinMI

7/17/08

Jen.  So far we have $45 (plus whatever is left over after John Henry finishes his donuts ...)

Looking to raise pledges totaling $500 to purchase (for $300) Sterling Gold - a boy out of Buckpasser and Nijinsky and Seattle Slew.  The additional $200 is an initial estimate for vetting, transport and 2 weeks of feed/care until we nail down a permanent home for him. 

His owner is growing impatient to move him on, and we may need the $300 purchase price pretty quickly.

Any and all help is important.  Thanks!

swedishkat
Staff

7/17/08

First of all -  THANK YOU, Mary - for staying on top of things and not letting another one slip through the cracks!

Second - how awesome that the owner/trainer actually IS willing to sell this horse, and CHEAP to - that he doesn't need to be claimed...

Third - what type of races was he running in last? Just curious why he wasn't on the Top Bunk List? But maybe he wasn't running in 5K claimers or less...?

:) Kat

midknight1

7/17/08

$255  in pledges needed ASAP for this $500,000 race track winner.  An additional $200 is needed (as an estimate for vet and transport).  He is on the waiting list for New Vocations.  Please help us to get him to safety.

Jen

Mary - any hope of pics?

• Edited 7/17/2008 1:58 pm ET by midknight1