POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

Urgent: Pa 2yr TB needs home asap   Horse Rescue Issues

Started by kdrosieb; 215 views.
kdrosieb

7/19/08

Hi Everyone,

Below is an email I received. Hopefully someone has a home for this guy.  I only know what is in the email and do not know the owners....contact info is at the bottom.

Kathy

Hello everyone

Our yearlings and 2-year-olds just came up on Sunday from FL, and there's a 2-year-old gelding in the bunch with an injury that will keep him from ever hitting the track. He's been declared a giveaway, so...I figured you'd be the folks that might be able to help find a suitable home for the guy. We can arrange to van him to his new home gratis.
I'm kind of under a tight deadline to get this boy out of here, so if you can do anything, forward this on to anyone, ANYTHING, I'd be forever in your debt.  His prognosis for recovery is great, so I don't think I could live with myself if he had to be put down because he wasn't placed in time.
Vie is a dark bay/brown gelding by Caller I. D., sane and calm and quiet, just like his mom Pineyville. A few months ago down at the training farm, he apparently got a superficial cut on his right foreleg from a guide wire, but it became infected and he ended up losing some of the flesh on it to bacteria. Our vet, Jeffrey Edelson of Manheim, said it's debatable whether Vie would have recurring pain from the infection, but he was leaning towards probably not.  He said that with a year or so of rest and rehab, there was no reason why he couldn't be used for hacking, trail riding, or flatwork. (Just nothing involving galloping.)

Getting Vie's skin to close is the most important thing right now, and Dr. Edelson does have an ointment that would hasten that process that he could provide.  Vie should have mild exercise (walking) and ideally be confined to a small paddock so he won't get the idea to take off at a gallop.  He should NOT be confined to his stall, as he needs air and light exercise to recover.

Attached are various photos of walking, trotting, conformation shots that were taken around 3:30 p.m. yesterday.  Vie looked great and moved very well.  Chuck King, our stallion man (Real Quiet's handler) and all-around horseman here at the farm, was impressed with his movement and how you couldn't see the injury affecting him at all if you didn't know it was there.

Please forward this on to anyone you know that may be willing to let this guy have some R 'n R for a while.  He's sane, quiet when having his feet handled, very mellow, and just an all-around good guy that doesn't deserve an untimely end when he could have a bright future ahead of him.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Monica Willett
Office Manager
PENN RIDGE FARMS, LLC
1306 Longview Dr
Harrisburg, PA 17111
(717) 982-6210 - office
(717) 307-3347 - fax
monica@pennridgefarms.com
ohara44

7/19/08

is he gelded?
In reply toRe: msg 3
kckellsbells

7/19/08

Bump for this handsome boy
onthebit1

7/19/08

Too bad he is now in PA. I have a friend in Ocala who would have taken him in a heartbeat. Good looking youngster!

Gail

really920

7/19/08

Wendy is this where you are getting "locked out" from?  You mean through the website???
really920

7/19/08

Did you try calling?

1306 Longview Dr
Harrisburg, PA 17111
(717) 982-6210 - office
(717) 307-3347 - fax

ohara44

7/19/08

nope I just tried e mailer her through her e mail address. too late to call anyone
swedishkat
Staff

7/19/08

It says "gelding" in the e-mail. Good looking guy, and much developed, for a 2 year old...                                  :) Kat
myheart10

7/19/08

His owner is listed as Michael Jester, I can't see why he cannot donate the transportation if he is the true owner. He owns the Matress Giant stores i think.