Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussion

Take A Chance - Need prayers!!!!   Horse Rescue Updates

Started by ExcellerFund; 20 views.
ExcellerFund

9/10/08

Dear Fans of Barbaro - Please take a moment and say a prayer for our Chance!  Take A Chance had a bout of gas colic today and it hasn't been an easy day for him.

The foster called me and the vet was on the way.  Initially he seemed uncomfortable so she gave him banamine and walked him, and he seemed to get better, but then started to show signs of great discomfort.  He passed gas and has pooped, but has shown no interest in water and was becoming distresed.

The vet came out and gave him some medication for bloat and gas colic, and at first he seemed a lot better, but just 10 minutes ago took a turn for the worse and needs surgery.

I don't know yet what the cost will be - I am giving them a credit card for the initial fees since the vet hospital won't do anything without some promise of payment.

Typically colic surgery can run anywhere from $3,000 to $7,000 depending on complications.

I am so torn because we normally cannot afford to spend this on one horse, but I know how MUCH Chance means to everyone, FOB's, the folks at the track, and so on, and I couldn't just make the decision to euthanize him on the spot without trying.

HOWEVER - we will need help to pay this bill, and there is no guaranty that he will survive.

SO PLEASE SAY A PRAYER FOR TAKE A CHANCE - and if you can help with the costs, we really need your support!

• Edited 9/10/2008 12:16 am by ExcellerFund
Katfisch5

9/10/08

Saying a prayer for this beautiful boy.
Bobcinpa

9/10/08

John Henry... who I have dubbed the Guardian Angel Of Old Geldings... is watching over Take A Chance. Get well soon, TAC.
In reply toRe: msg 3
ExcellerFund

9/10/08

It's just after 2:30 in the morning and I just got off the phone with the vet.  It is not looking good, but we're not out yet.

If anyone is up and reading, PLEASE SAY A PRAYER for Take A Chance.  I am so heartsick as I write this that I can barely see the screen through my tears.

Please pull through Chance - please pull through.

9/10/08

On the Harness Racing side it's Rambling Willie.

Hopefully they can pull Take A Chance though it.

Laminitis??????? 

What I see is that we need more research on Colic related disorders.

Rob

iartoo

9/10/08

Please help Chance
midknight1

9/10/08

Bonnie, I'm praying as hard as I can.  I hope things have taken a turn for the better.  Hang in there Chance!

Jen

kckellsbells

9/10/08

Prayers for Chance!
marygran

9/10/08

Bonnie

I am praying really hard for Chance that he will pull through.  

Mary in MD

lawrek2

9/10/08

Thoughts and Prayers for Take A Chance.

Karen