The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

Photos of Dr. Decherd's arrival   Horse Rescue Updates

Started by WendyinMI (wendrew); 123 views.
betonbill

10/7/08

What a nice big horse he is!  Kudos to everyone who made this come together.  Thanks for the photos. 
WendyinMI (wendrew)
Staff

10/7/08

they are not "my photos" but I just helped to put them up... 

He is one tall dude!  Kat looks like a munchkin next to him.  :)

jamielsg

10/7/08

Great job Wendy! Dr. D is a beautiful boy....................so glad he's landed so softly with Kat.  BTW, I saw Shine on Sunday and got to groom him!! He looks beautiful and very content.  Thanks! Jamie
WendyinMI (wendrew)
Staff

10/7/08

I'm glad Shine is doing well at his new digs.  It's nice to hear updates on him.

jamielsg

10/7/08

He almost fell asleep while I was brushing him.....he's so cute! Jamie
marygran

10/8/08

WOW!  That is one tall drink of water! :O

Mary in MD  

swedishkat
Staff

10/10/08

It is now OFFICIAL: DD and Pelle are BFFs!!!

The other day, I put DD in the stall next to Pelle, to see how they would interact. These guys were ALL OVER eachother, scratching each other's backs and withers, chewing on each other's manes and just drooling all over each other - LOL

NEVER a sour look, squeling or kicking, not even play biting. If one goes inside, the other one follows, if one goes outside, the other one does too - always being next to each other. It was quite amazing to watch!! Now, remember, that Pelle is NOT like this with other horses usually - he is alpha and studly, and likes company, but always has to be in charge, bossing the other horses around - NOT snuggeling like this!

I tried to get some pictures, but never got a good one of them, except these two, where DD picks up a stick from the ground, plays around with it for a while, and then takes it over to Pelle and offeres it to him to play with :) (bad photos, with mobile camera...):

Photo_100808_001Photo_100808_004

This new "friendship" just works out beautifully for me, because I used to keep one of my guys inside with Pelle for company at all times, and alternate pasture time. Now with these 2 guys, who need to stay inside anyway, they can keep eachother company and the other guys can go outside all day (like they used to) = everybody HAPPY!!

So DD now has a night-stall and a day-stall, he moves over to Bosse's stall during the day and hangs out with Pelle and at night he hangs out with his arabcross friend :) Change of scenery always keeps things from getting too boring as well...

:) Kat

swedishkat
Staff

10/10/08

Another awesome thing that came out of DD and Pelle "finding each other", is that the first night after they became friends, was the FIRST night DD actually LAID DOWN in his stall and rested!! He hadn't done that before,and I was wondering if it was just because he didn't feel comfortable and secure enough here yet - OR - if his stifle soreness prevented him from it, perhaps he had trouble getting UP once he was down?

I think Pelle made DD feel at home here, by being so friendly, and perhaps he told him that he is safe here, no worries - you are not going anywhere, just relax and enjoy it!

I never actually SAW him lay down, but the evidence was clear: shavings all over his sheet and mane and tail - LOL

I had to put a sheet on him at night for a couple of nights, as we have had "desert-weather" here lately = 90 at day and 45-50 at night!! I am so glad I had that "hunch", the first night it got cold, as DD doesn't really have much of a coat and ZERO bodyfat :) The forecast said it would get "cooler", but they had no idea it was going to get THAT COLD!! And if they say low of 60 - it usually means about 5-10 degrees COLDER here in the hill country :)

Here are some (bad quality again...) pics of DD and Mango play fighting, before I turned Mango out for the day:

Photo_100908_006Photo_100908_007

Photo_100908_008Photo_100908_009

Photo_100908_010Photo_100908_011

:) Kat

• Edited 10/10/2008 1:55 pm by swedishkat
LAM232

10/10/08

Kat,

Please give DD a huge hug for me. I am so thrilled he is adjusting so well and that he and Pelle are best buds!!

Auntie Linda from Maine

• Edited 10/10/2008 1:52 pm ET by LAM232