The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

BARBARO'S STATUE UNVEILING   Barbaro and Family

Started by Nancy from CT (nancyinct); 185 views.

Now that it has been announced that the glorious statue of Barbaro will be unveiled on Sunday, April 26th, I am so hopeful that MANY FOBs will be able to attend!

It is very apparent from Mrs. Jackson's beautiful letter in yesterday's Thoroughbred Daily News that they continue to be amazed and gratified by our efforts put forth in Barbaro's memory, and I can't help but feel they would love to see many of us in KY that day.

While my financial situation prohibits any travel, I am hopeful that the fact that the unveiling is on SUNDAY may mean that more of you will be able to be present to represent the rest of us...perhaps travel on Saturday,  THE BIG EVENT on Sunday, and maybe missing just one day of work to travel home on Monday...

To those of you who will be fortunate enough to be there, always remember that you carry with you the hearts and minds of the rest of us who can only watch from afar!

In reply toRe: msg 1

(from The Thoroughbred Times, posted January 29, 2009)

Barbaro memorial unveiling set for April 26

A public unveiling of a larger-than-life bronze statue of 2006 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (G1) winner Barbaro will be held on April 26 at Churchill Downs.

The announcement about the unveiling was made on Thursday, the two-year anniversary of Barbaro’s death on January 29, 2007.

“Churchill Downs will provide additional details about the public unveiling as they become available, but we wanted to make certain that Barbaro’s worldwide legion of fans were aware of the ceremony’s date,” said Jim Gates, Churchill’s general manager. “Churchill Downs is proud to have been chosen as Barbaro’s final resting place, and this outstanding memorial is certain to become a popular year-round gathering place for horse lovers throughout the world.”

The statue will be part of Barbaro’s memorial and burial site at Churchill. The statue will be placed outside Gate 1 at the Louisville track, and Barbaro’s ashes will be interred beneath the statue.

A bronze marker featuring Barbaro’s likeness currently marks the future memorial site.

A homebred of Roy and Gretchen Jackson’s Lael Stables, Barbaro posted a 6 1/2-length victory in the 2006 Kentucky Derby. The Dynaformer colt shattered his right hind leg in the opening strides of the 2006 Preakness Stakes (G1) and later was euthanized because of complications with laminitis.

“Gretchen and I are very much looking forward to the public ceremony this April,” Roy Jackson said. “We are absolutely thrilled that Barbaro will be honored at Churchill Downs with a magnificent statue of his greatest race.”

Equine sculptor Alexa King is overseeing production of the statue, which is nearing its final stages. The statue will feature Barbaro and jockey Edgar Prado in mid-flight near the finish line of the 2006 Kentucky Derby.

Churchill’s 2009 spring meet starts on April 25, and the memorial unveiling will take place the following day before live racing begins. The 135th running of the Kentucky Derby will be held on May 2.

MichiganFOB1

1/30/09

I have reservations and my husband and I will be there.  I waited for months for the announcement date so I could immediately make reservations.

Wonderful!  I do so hope we have a impressive turnout there.

I'm thinking that because the unveiling is on Sunday which, to the best of my knowledge, is BEFORE prices in the area go through the roof for Derby week, many more people might be able to attend!

• Edited 1/30/2009 11:45 am ET by Nancy Naughty Nutmegger (nancyinct)
LAM232

1/30/09

Rats, I will be in KY from April 6-12 .... already meeting six non-FOBs there and can't change my plans.

I will be in spirit with whoever attends on April 25th and will be sure to see the statue next time I am down there.

God bless Barbaro always.

Linda

In reply toRe: msg 5
Timing is everything in life, isn't it?  At least you seem to get down to KY fairly often, so you will have a chance to see Barbaro's statue without all the hustle and bustle of April 26th!
EileneWood

1/30/09

Right on my mom's birthday.  In 2007, I was at the 1st birthday celebration.  I believe you were there Nancy.
MichiganFOB1

1/30/09

You are correct.  The prices will start skyrocketing a couple of days after that.  We've been to the Derby, in 2005, and paid much higher prices, but it was worth it just for the experience of being there.
In reply toRe: msg 8
luvbobby7

1/30/09

Can't wait. My husband, sister and I will be there!  We have our reservations.
MaryDS1

1/30/09

Nancy - do you know, or has anyone else heard - will there be a memorial service, or internment of his ashes at this unveiling - or is it just for the statue?