Asperger and Autistic Adults

Hosted by Gerry (GerryLoc)

This forum is for autistic and asperger adults. Here, we can speak of issues we meet as adults. This forum is open only to those on the autism spectrum.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Does Butters have AS?   Fun and Funny

Started by JB (aspie04); 935 views.
JB (aspie04)

11/10/04

I don't know of there's anybody here who's a fan of the Comedy Central animated series "South Park," but I think that there is one character who has some traits of Asperger's syndrome. His name is "Butters." He's a boy with a tuft of yellow hair on his head. Somehow, he didn't "fit in" with the main characters (Stan, Kyle, Cartman) when he was their "fourth friend." I'm no expert on AS nor do I play one on TV (;-)), but I will use the Gillberg criteria for finding out whether or not little Butters has AS.

GILLBERG'S CRITERIA FOR ASPERGER'S SYNDROME (1991)

1. Severe impairment in reciprocal social action
(a) inability to interact with peers (at least with the four boys)
(c) lack of appreciation of social cues (I think; the boys made him into a rather gullible person in the past)

2. All-absorbing narrow interest
(a) exclusion of other activities
(c) more rote than meaning (I think)

3. Imposition of routines and interests
(a) on self, in aspects of life
(b) on others

4. Speech and language characteristics
(c) formal, pedantic language
(d) odd prosody, peculiar voice characteristics (stutters sometimes)
(e) impairment of comprehension including misinterpretations of literal/implied meanings

5. Non-verbal communication problems
(a) limited use of gestures (I think)

Edited 11/14/2004 9:33 pm ET by aspie04
DIANE2BOYS
Staff

11/12/04

I have enjoyed many episodes of South Park. Not sure though...I'll have to watch Butters more carefully....

JB (aspie04)

11/14/04

I was going to post this on the gotimmygo forum, but the people there would have thought of me as the greatest wack-job ever. But then again, so would other people.
DIANE2BOYS
Staff

11/14/04

hmmmm, you never know....they did do that show where they dx'ed everyone with ADD and gave them all ritilan to keep them under control...who knows...maybe someone would agree.....
egyptian42

11/16/04

What about Carlos Nietos on Third Watch? Any other candidates in movies, tv or literature?
Matt1972

11/16/04

Does anyone consider that a lot of writers may have AS and therefore write about what they know?

And btw, how AS is the Simpson family? people say Im a cross between Homer Simpson and Ozzie Osbourne.

JB (aspie04)

11/16/04

Below is a link to a site with a list of people (fictitious and otherwise) who have autistic traits.

http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/Stonewall/4502/famousac.html

Pretty interesting stuff...

• Edited 12/2/2004 7:54 pm ET by JB (aspie04)
Matt1972

11/17/04

Yeah, I think I have already visited that site, I tend to take those lists with a grain of salt these days, unless it specificly says the person in question has had an offical dx.

---[quote]---------
Pretty interesting stuff, considring the site is made by someone from England.
-------------------

What does being from England make that list interesting?

I'm from Australia, does that make my post interesting? :-)

BrigitSmith

11/17/04

The best episode was when Butter's mother freaked out over finding out her husband was hanging out in the "gay baths" and tried to kill Butters. That was the funniest thing when she sent Butter's to follow him and he walked in on the father doing himself. Damn that was a riot!!
JamieIngra1

11/27/04

What about Jacque Mayal in the Big Blue.