Books to Read -  Two Good Ones (15 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 3) 
Hey all,

Been a while since I've done the book thing! I have been reading like a maniac on these long daily commutes and I had two share two good books I enjoyed.

The first is "Surviving in Two Worlds:Contemporary Native American Vocies" by Lois Crozier-Hogle and Darryl Babe Wilson. This is a collection of interviews really with people from different Nations. Men, women, elders, young folks. The book was really inspirational and hopeful without candy-coating stuff. The fact that it was collection of varying experiences made it more powerful. I really highly reccomend it.
The second book is "The Fire Next Time" by James Baldwin. Even though I disagree with some of his ideas, the overall truth of his work is undeniable. The entire work is so amazingly and beautifully written. This man has the most distinctive writing voice I've ever read. I love his novels, but this is even better. The best is the quote from which the title comes :"God gave Noah the rainbow sign: "No more water, the fire next time!" Man I get chills from that quote! Amazing.

Happy reading

Shelby

Reply   Options 

To: Guest  (2 of 3) 
 125.2 in reply to 125.1 
Native Web is buzzing about "Like A Hurricane" a history of Native activism that is apparently amazingly good. I should have my copy (Amazon.com is da bomb--things arrive in two days, usually) by Friday!

Also--have you already read "The Grass Dancer," by Susan Powers, and the immortal, impossible, incredible, "Love Medicine," by Louise Edrich? As good as they get...And Alfredo Vea's "La Maravilla" is also amazing--has a Yaqui family at it's "core," and if he can't move you, no one can. The "wisdom" of that book stunned the world, and blew me away with it!

Omoya

Edited 12/2/99 3:09:01 PM ET by OMOYA1

To: Omoya (omoya1)  (3 of 3) 
 125.3 in reply to 125.2 

Man my "To Read" list is a novel in its own right now!

I have to pick these up! I haven't even gotten to the ones you last suggested!

Shelby

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.