Books to Read -  Great new children's book (20 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 4) 
My copy of Less than Half, More than Whole by Kathleen and Michael Lacapa just came today. It is the brilliantly told and illustrated tale about a mixed blood boy who is told he is not a real Indian because he is "less than half". Omoya, get this book for your daughter, she'll recognize Hopi patterns in the illustrations because Micheal Lacapa is Hopi,Tewa and Apache. His wife Kathleen is Mohawk, English and Irish. Good book. I'm putting it on my web page!

Reply   Options 

To: Homalosa (homalosa1)  (2 of 4) 
 207.2 in reply to 207.1 
Michael, like Drew, is a friend of my ex's who often stays with him when he's in town. I'll ask Hopi Daddy if he can get us an autograph!
Omoya

To: Omoya (omoya1)  (3 of 4) 
 207.3 in reply to 207.2 
Wow! I shoulda had you order my copy! Hope you get the autograph!

To: Homalosa (homalosa1)  (4 of 4) 
 207.4 in reply to 207.3 
Well, I don't have my copy yet! I'll have to remember to ask the ex to put in a good word--for his daughter, he'll do anything!

Those two, my ex and Michael, used to be on the "artists" circuit, here in Arizona. There's an artist's roster upon which recipients of NEA grants and awards are placed, to "repay" the government, more or less, for the money invested in their talents. My ex would bring his katsinas, and talk about how he made them, and why. And Michael would tell beautiful stories about Hopi, and his life in general. I've heard about him for years, through the ex, who would sit listening, awed by the power of his storytelling. It had taken many years for Leon, my ex, to become aware of his own speaking abilities--to find his own voice. And through his travels with Michael, he started to hear things that he, too, had experienced, but never felt worth telling. It helped him to grow, and they became really good friends. So, that's how the connection was made!
Omoya

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.