Books to Read -  READ 2000 Seasons (41 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 7) 
Has anyone read 2000 Seasons by Ayi Kweh Armah? I would like to recommend it. Although it is set in Africa, it would be a great book for anyone interested in traditional religious thought before there was such a thing as religion.

by the by....Hello to all....Im a new one to the forum.....excellent reads.

Reply   Options 

To: Isegun  (2 of 7) 
 240.2 in reply to 240.1 
O'siyo ISEGUN,
I have not read the book, but I wanted to wish you a warm "WELCOME." I am still fairly new to this forum as well. I must say though... you have picked a fine spot to rest your soul!
Many Blessings,
Theresa

To: Theresa (Quanah38) unread  (3 of 7) 
 240.3 in reply to 240.2 

Thanx...I must admit this forum does seem nice. Lots of calm souls. By the way, what does O'siyo mean?

Isegun

To: Isegun unread  (4 of 7) 
 240.4 in reply to 240.3 
It means "Hello" or "Greetings." Are you of Black/Native descent? Even if you aren't, again, "welcome to this forum!" It is a pleasure to meet you via the internet.
Theresa

To: All  (5 of 7) 
 240.5 in reply to 240.4 

O'siyo

I am one of the many African Americans it seems practicing an African religion which has led me to search for my Native
American spirit.

I wanted to pass the book along because in terms of my understanding of the reciprocity required between ourselves and
the earth this book had a deep and lasting impact.

The book is written as a history of Africa peoples before there was history. It tells of the prophecy that was ignored and how
the peoples over time have walked towards destruction. But since it is written by an East African, the depth of the culture
and how we think things may have been amongst traditional people before they ever saw "white" people.

I wanted to pass this book along because out of the hundreds or thousands of books that I have read in my life, THIS was
the first one that MADE me notice the writing. Before this book, good writing meant coming up with a good/great story and
being able to tell it. Now, it is HOW the words are put together and which words do you use to describe almost
unimagineable events. Can you imagine what an African would think and how she would describe seeing a "white" woman
for the first time? This author finds the words.

BUT the book is out of print. The author has had a hard time keeping it in print. Amazon will search for used copies for
purchase.

To: Isegun  (6 of 7) 
 240.6 in reply to 240.5 
ISEGUN,
"2000 Seasons" sounds really interesting. Being that it is out of print in stores, do you think that a library would have it?
Theresa

To: Theresa (Quanah38)  (7 of 7) 
 240.7 in reply to 240.6 
I never thought about the library :) If they have a nice African American Lit section, they may have it. The first 2 printings in paperback are have large print compared to the 3 and final printing which was tiny.

I hope folks can find it and would love to hear any thoughts on it. I am about to read it again.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.