Why Pow wow? -  4th An. African Marketplace Unity Powwow (41 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 13) 
Chukma All!
I just wanted to invite you all in the SoCAl/NoCal area to our 4th Annual African Marketplace Unity Powwow. For more information visit our website at:
http://members.aol.com/unitypowwow/unitypowwow.html

The powwow is August 19th and the American Indian Cultural Expo is August 20th.

Hope to see you there. Bring your regalia or shawl and come dance with us!

Reply   Options 

To: Homalosa (homalosa1)  (2 of 13) 
 283.2 in reply to 283.1 
I thank you for your invitation, and I will
be with you in spirit. I'm in NYC, and
unfortunately I will not be able to join in
the festivities! Have a grand time. Please
give us an update about the event whom
you saw, what took place, etc.

Sister Cahokia Etowah Uktena
Israelite, Shinnecock, Poosepatuck, Oklahoma Cherokee
Edited 7/30/00 10:44:23 PM ET by CAHOKIA

Edited 7/30/00 10:45:31 PM ET by CAHOKIA

To: Guest unread  (3 of 13) 
 283.3 in reply to 283.2 
I will keep you all posted. This is my second year serving on the committee so I'll be busy up until and throughout the day. It looks like we're going to have a nice number of vendors. I just hopes someone wants to run a frybread booth!

To: Homalosa (homalosa1)  (4 of 13) 
 283.4 in reply to 283.3 
Homalosa,

Mmmmmm.....fryyyyyybread. Would ya hook a sista up with some pictures? LOL

I'm going to be in Texas and won't be able to make it :-( Please let me know how it goes!!

Much Love,
Treena

To: Treena (goldenocean) unread  (5 of 13) 
 283.5 in reply to 283.4 
I will. I just updated the powwow web page. Every year I debate whether I'll dance because it's almost impossible to plan a powwow and dance in it too. However many of the African Americans who attend the powwow come just to see redblack dancers, so like last year I may be wearing two or more hats again. I can breathe a little now because we got our headstaff confirmed and posted.

To: Homalosa (homalosa1)  (6 of 13) 
 283.6 in reply to 283.1 

WOW....I might actually be able to attend. I know people there so.....Please expand on what is appropriate if I want to dance. I wont know a soul, so do I just jump out there when they invite everyone?......just bring a shawl?.......do I need to where a skirt or dress??

I have only been to a couple of Pow Wow's as and "outsider" so how could I feel comfortable dancing??

Can someone expand on this.

alaafia

To: Homalosa (homalosa1)  (7 of 13) 
 283.7 in reply to 283.5 
Could you send me the url so I could bookmark it?

Treena

To: Treena (goldenocean) unread  (8 of 13) 
 283.8 in reply to 283.7 

To: Isegun  (9 of 13) 
 283.9 in reply to 283.6 
First off,
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ASKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Since this isn't your first powwow you may have noticed that Indians seem to be very quiet about new comers that make faux pas. It's true in a sense that many of us are laughing at them on the inside. Many people just think that because they have native blood or are interested that they can just come in and have it doing whatever they please.
Here are a few tips but I've listed the URL to a very good site on powwow etiquette. It's a Southern site, but that doesn't matter too much since many powwows in California follow Southern way and the etiquette is nearly the same where ever you go.

You asked about a shawl so I'm assuming you are female.
1. If you have a shawl please bring one. It is disrespectful for a woman to dance uncovered.
2. Since you are not fully dressed in regalia, you'll only be dancing during INTERTRIBAL SONGS, or public invited songs like the ROUND DANCE or TWO STEP.

3. About your clothes, this is my personal thing, so take it if you will. I personally do not wear shorts in the arena. Even though I'd have a shawl, I just think it's in poor taste. Now if my shorts are longer, like walking shorts, then okay, but for me, I don't like my legs to show. Many women including Indian women wear shorts, just not too short. But most women I see wear a longer short or cool pants.

Now that's all I have, you'll probably find more at this site:
http://library.thinkquest.org/3081/rules.htm

If you have any other questions, I'm sure the other arena folks around here can help you. The main thing is to pay attention to what the MC says, he will guide and explain everything to you.

Hope you can make it!

To: Homalosa (homalosa1)  (10 of 13) 
 283.10 in reply to 283.9 

Thanks lots....I am excited about this!!

alaafia!!

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-13
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.