Why Pow wow? -  4th Annual African Marketplace POWWOW! (59 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 8) 
Hi all, just wanted to remind those of you out west that this weekend is the powwow my committee and I have worked so hard to put on. If you're in SoCal hope to see you there!

Reply   Options 

To: Homalosa (homalosa1)  (2 of 8) 
 291.2 in reply to 291.1 

Hi

I will be there with shawl and camera....is there picture taking etiquette?

To: Isegun  (3 of 8) 
 291.3 in reply to 291.2 
You always ask the right questions! Yes, powwow etiquette does include photos. The MC will announce when and where you can take pictures but know generally this, ceremonial songs, Grand Entry, Memorial, and Flag or Victory are off limits. These all run in succession. Always ask dancers first before taking their picture. Many powwow committees including ours, commission a photographer to take pictures during the powwow. Other than that, consider the arena sacred. You may see dancers with video cameras taping. It will most likely be during their relative's contest song or during an intertribal song. This is allowed but only because they are focusing on a particular dancer.
Bring your camera, but know you must have permission first.
Hope to see you there. It's clear now that I won't be dancing because I'll have too much work to do (also, I wonder being four months if my T dress will still fit and it will be way too hot for me to wear my huge Chickasaw dress. So if you look for me I'll be wadling around doing powwow business. I may have time for an intertribal or so.

To: All  (4 of 8) 
 291.4 in reply to 291.3 
Just got in from the powwow WHEW!!!!!!!!!! Our committee was so small this year that I got to see all the dirty work and fires that have to be put out when putting on a powwow. Those of you who dance, please appreciate your powwow head staff and committee, you have no idea what they go through. Still all and all it was fun. I had a chance to dance, danced well and had all my extended family dote over me because of the baby. I saw IvySpring and that was nice too. Well, my powwow report is OVA!!!!!!!!! Now I can go to sleep.

To: Homalosa (homalosa1)  (5 of 8) 
 291.5 in reply to 291.4 

What were you wearing? Maybe I would remember you. Who was the woman in the corner with the paint on her face?? Is she Native American?

My mother, sister, and I had a great time. It was too much to see for one day. Next year I will know.

While at the African Am Marketplace and Pow Wow , I encountered a wonderful artist. Please check him out and maybe through him some 'biznez'. He had paintings and cards made from those paintings. He does also sell his original paintings.

http://carlosspivey.com/

To: Isegun  (6 of 8) 
 291.6 in reply to 291.5 
I wore my blue chickasaw dress and apron,like you see on my webpage:
http://members.aol.com/homalosa/index.html

What woman are you talking about with make up on her face? If she was wearing furs around her waist then that was probably Cecelia Garcia, a Tongva woman. She practices Tongva medicine. We asked the Tongva people to bless the arena because this is their land.

To: Homalosa (homalosa1)  (7 of 8) 
 291.7 in reply to 291.4 
Homalosa is a dancing queen! She is great!

To: IvySpring  (8 of 8) 
 291.8 in reply to 291.7 
Ooh, thanks for such a compliment! It was so hot out there I don't know how I got around that arena! Thanks again.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.