Whats it all about? -  Amegroids-The New Native Americans (11 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 27) 

CHARACTERISTICS OF AMEGROIDS

http://www.ameribiz.com/asa/page9.htm

Edited 7/27/2002 6:06:12 AM ET by blackgold51

Reply   Options 

To: blackgold51  (2 of 27) 
 536.2 in reply to 536.1 
Don't say "the new Native Americans." We're still around, you know. "The new Native Americans" gives me this image of blondes claiming to be Pipe Carriers and S&M enthusiasts getting off during a Sun Dance.

White people...Can't live with 'em.

To: wanbli529  (3 of 27) 
 536.3 in reply to 536.2 

Are you always so negative? I just found an interesting article I thought might interest someone.

Forum site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/586246532 "Job Hunting Made Easy"

To: blackgold51  (4 of 27) 
 536.4 in reply to 536.3 
Yes, I'm enjoying reading the articles you're reposting, but I too
have a real problem relating to this new name for us...

There's no need to rename us...

Better to just be ourselves and ask others to respect us as
we are...

No smoke signals...

But I hope that that the folks on the rez read/heard that as well!

Ya folla?

Peace...

Edited 5/30/2002 9:58:53 AM ET by CTJ527

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon5/30/02 3:43 PM 
To: blackgold51  (5 of 27) 
 536.5 in reply to 536.1 
As someone who lives in Honolulu, where a very sizable percentage of our population is multiracial, I found the article you posted very interesting. Because of the Asian influence here, it's not unusual to hear someone who is multiracial referring to himself or herself as "chop suey" (meaning a mix of alot of different "ingredients," or races).

Jeanne

To: ctj527  (6 of 27) 
 536.6 in reply to 536.4 

Hold on! I didn't do the renaming. It was all a surprise to me. But, apparently, someone felt the need to do so. Personally, I find the name to be weird sounding and not sure it will be something that will last -- who knows!

To: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 27) 
 536.7 in reply to 536.5 

Now, that is really refreshing! Different, almost humorous in its concept. Good to have a positive view of things.

Thank you.

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon5/30/02 4:07 PM 
To: blackgold51  (8 of 27) 
 536.8 in reply to 536.7 
After living in Honolulu for so many years (23 years & a transplant from Los Angeles), the subject of multiracialness seems normal to me because it's normal here. I suspect it's more normal than we realize on the mainland (the continental US) than people realize, too.

It's a subject of great interest to be able to rattle off all the heritages someone is, and it's not unusual to be a mixture of 5 or 6 things, if not more. I use the word "heritage" beacause some of the mixtures will be different Asian backgrounds, like a mixture of Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc. So it's not unusual for someone to tell you "I'm Hawaiian-Chinese-Filipino-Puerto Rican-and German." They tend to identify the Caucasian in them as the country the Caucasian ancestors came from.

One time, when I was asked what my background is and I said that I'm 1/4 French, 1/4 Spanish and the other have is a mix of English, Irish, Scots, Dutch and some German, the person asking said "You're so mixed, but you look so WHITE." I had to laugh because even though my ancestors came from alot of different countries, they WERE all white. It's not like having ancestors who are Hawaiian and Chinese--people who came from different countries and were also different races.

Aloha, Jeanne

To: blackgold51  (9 of 27) 
 536.9 in reply to 536.3 
If correcting someone for assuming that we don't exist is "negative," then I guess I'm negative. It reminded me of this Belizean I know. He's Mayan, and he came here when he was a child. Anyway, in high school, he was suspended for correcting a teacher who said "We don't know what happened to the Mayans." My conclusion: Minority students really are invisible.

From: Coconut Queen (JEANNE2469) DelphiPlus Member Icon5/30/02 5:09 PM 
To: wanbli529  (10 of 27) 
 536.10 in reply to 536.9 
Now, that's really a shame because your Belizean friend gave that high school teacher and his classmates the opportunity for an ideal learning experience, which that teacher didn't even recognize. Think of the research and discussion that the students would have had the opportunity for and the teacher totally missed it.

Jeanne

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-27
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.