Indian Dancing Should I? -  Pow Wow in Washington DC (119 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 10) 
Is anyone going to the Inaugural PowWow in Washington DC next weekend?
I will be in DC for that weekend visiting some relatives and we plan
on going.
Here's the powwow website, it looks like it may be a nice event.

http://www.americanindian.si.edu/

:) Waters

Reply   Options 

To: SmilingWater  (2 of 10) 
 588.2 in reply to 588.1 
I'll be there dancing.

To: JingleShawl (LakotaMaya)  (3 of 10) 
 588.3 in reply to 588.2 
I will be there also.Gonna spend the whole weekend.Dont know if I will be dancing though.

Amir

To: SmilingWater  (4 of 10) 
 588.4 in reply to 588.1 
They're using the Smithsonian URL? WTF? Around here, Indians think the Smithsonian's a bunch of Nazis. And with good reason: The Smithsonian refuses to repatriate skeletons taken at Wounded Knee.

To: wanbli529  (5 of 10) 
 588.5 in reply to 588.4 
I wonder why they are doing the powwow there then? I wonder what response we could/would get if we emailed the Smithsonian and asked???
Tell me if you have any ideas?
hmmmmmm.........

:) Waters

To: SmilingWater  (6 of 10) 
 588.6 in reply to 588.5 
Its for the opening of the new museum down in DC. I'll be there....

To: nikkimo910  (7 of 10) 
 588.7 in reply to 588.6 
I went to the Powwow in DC.It was okay wasnt all that.They had no vendors just 2 frybread stands.They had some booths for native voice newspapers and one for the enviroment.They had a tent they had it was very small so small that the heat in there was like an oven which caused this 13 year old Fancy Dancer to collapse and never recovered.
Many people were in shock as the boy went to the spirit world.It was sadd day for many people there.It rained that night for the grand entry.

To: Amirbenlevi  (8 of 10) 
 588.8 in reply to 588.7 
i know i'm late, but:

those prices for food there were terribly high! not to mention how hot ans sweltering it was underneath that tent from Schemitzun! you had to get there super early or you would not find a seat if you weren't dancing! i heard that they weren't expecting so many people to come, but how can think that when you have a major competition???

yeah, people were falling out all over the place! my heart goes out to the family of Virgil CrossGuns, who passed away.

To: JingleShawl (LakotaMaya)  (9 of 10) 
 588.9 in reply to 588.8 
those prices for food there were terribly high!>>

You know why?
http://www.indianz.com/News/show.asp?ID=2002/09/06/frybread

not to mention how hot ans sweltering it was underneath that tent from Schemitzun! you had to get there super early or you would not find a seat if you weren't dancing! i heard that they weren't expecting so many people to come, but how can think that when you have a major competition???>>

See, that's why I didn't even bother. Sunday, it was SO humid!! When my friend and I passed by in the van, we stopped, said hi to some people and BOUNCED. I saw that frybread line and said oh no way! I'll go home and make my own! LOL!

Hey, does anyone know if there were T-Shirts being sold, I didn't see any...

To: nikkimo910  (10 of 10) 
 588.10 in reply to 588.9 
i didn't see any there. they will prolly have some for the grand opening of the museum.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.