Whats it all about? -  More Info About BLACK Indians, Please?? (164 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 10) 
Just who are you, posters?

And if I went to that upcoming upcoming historical coming together
of the Black Indian descendants et al who wound up in Oklahoma
or didn't, just who would I be coming into contact with??

So how about a shout out from you about yourself and your
particular band or tribe?

I'll be waiting...

And thanks in advance!

Take care one and all...

Peace...

Reply   Options 

From: Chief Eaglefeather (BLACKINDIANS)12/25/02 11:47 PM 
To: ctj527  (2 of 10) 
 640.2 in reply to 640.1 
http://forums.delphiforums.com/BlkIndians/start

Hello CTJ527, My name is Chief Jerry Eaglefeather Monroe. A Great Great Great Grandmother of mine is on the Final Cherokee Rolls known as the Baker Rolls of 1924. My Father, Chief BlackHawk San Carlos is an Apache Mohawk. I am the Founder of BlackIndians & Intertribal Native American Association. AKA BlackIndians.com. I started this group in and around 1989. We have grown tremendously since then. Back then no one was speaking about Black Natives. Let alone embracing or excepting one another, most people just didn't know. What sparked me to do this, was the racism I saw amongst First Nations people and African Americans. I felt that something had to be done. Some sort of peace needed to be introduce. Its not been an easy road. But, to some degree, many doors have opened up since then.

I have seen info about this up coming event. And I have heard that a few of them have been productive. I am myself looking into this event as I live up north in the PA Area. I am also looking to host a Powwow this year in PA. It is a Multi Racial, cultural event. Not segregated to just Black Natives. And though I use the term BlackIndians, I believe that our success will be in, integration with First Nations people. So I am watching closely before I align myself with anything that goes on. Not saying anything is wrong, I'm just watching.

I believe that fellowship must begin with each person opening there heart to truth. No calling for segregation or self promotion that leads to a standoffishness. But one that embraces one another in a way that brings healing.

Black Buffalo Soldiers fought Indians, and Indians Exposed Slave Hide outs. So there is some humility issues and some healing that must take place. Simply I believe that the offspring of the two Nations can bring about this peace. And we as a people [BlackIndians] Can be the ones to initiate this healing process.

Anyway, enough about me, tell us about you. And what are your feelings about BlackNatives.

May Creator bring you and yours a happy holiday season.

Chief Eaglefeather
BlackIndians.com

To: Chief Eaglefeather (BLACKINDIANS)  (3 of 10) 
 640.3 in reply to 640.2 
Osiyo, Chief...

Thanks for making clear your purpose and intent...

Not quite that sure what those were or are of the usual people who
post on this board and these threads though?

To put it politely and respectfully: I'm not quite sure if there
is a consensus as to what it means to be a 'black indian' at
all...

Y'see, we're talking about a unique phenomenon, i. e., the blending
of two cultures of two different people, and that is what makes
'black indians' different from a Plains or Northwest Pacific Coast
native...

And, after having discussed/debated the merits or this or that
viewpoint of what it means to be indigenous to them, I'm afraid
that--sometimes--the people who post on the board and these
threads do come across like 'roots with feathers on'...

Again: Remember that the 'black indian' rose out of adversity
and necessity faced by those enslaved africans who stole
back their freedom and make alliances with friendly local
native peoples...

But both we and they are descendants of folk who reflect the
ups and downs of living in the midst of a people and a culture
which was and is not meant to advance our best interests--
and too many on our end who
are slow to reexamine that shared
history--warts and all...

Then, too, I came here hoping to learn something more about the
uniqueness of who I am from people like yourself...

That, too, has been slow in coming via this forum...

So who am I?

A person who hopes and prays that he came in with an open mind
and a kind heart...

But one who only has an vague idea as to who he is related to...

Neither side of my family openly identifies themselves as
being mixed bloods...

I'm the first and only one of my own generation...

But this I will share with you...

My dad's dad was a quiet giant...

My mom's mom didn't have to acknowlege HER mixed blood heritage
because she exibited it...

So I'm guessing that my bloodline is Cherokee on my dad's side;
Blackfoot on my mom's...

But that's all I know so far...

Except for this...

Dad does practice the potlatch tradition, i. e., via how he and
his lady friend distribute what remains of their Thansgiving
and Xmas dinners to some needy local family or families...

It was not the desire of the grandparents--whatever they did
know--to determine the identities of their grandchildren
for them...

But once folk gravitated towards certain grandparents and where
they were coming from-?

To say the least: I used to get real curious about what
grammy was sewing in the dinning room, whenever I stayed
over on some weekends when mom needed a break...

I continue to want one of her old quilts...

(Smile)...

Regardless: My first attempt to answer your question or
questions, Chief...

And: Stay tuned...

Take care...

Peace...

To: ctj527  (4 of 10) 
 640.4 in reply to 640.3 
Greetings my people: I have been away for about a year and I am back to learn that my brothers and sisters are planning a powwow soon. I would love to help out in anyway that I can. Plus you let me know when and where this will take place. I will plan to be there to help unite any and all the tribes of the United States. Feel free to email me at ChfRedhawk@aol.com for any questions.

To: ChfRedhawk  (5 of 10) 
 640.5 in reply to 640.4 
Osiyo, Redhawk...

And, welcome back, brave...

But I also hope to persuade you to be a part of a general
discussion as to why a few have plenty to say about how
others relate to us while nobody has been willing or
able to talk about how we relate to each other...

Regardless: Have a safe and sane New Year...

Peace...

To: ChfRedhawk  (6 of 10) 
 640.6 in reply to 640.4 
I hear yah, Chief!

So let Us Come Together And Be One People!

And another contribution in order to make that dream a reality:

ST. PAUL, Minn. - The dialogue over African American-Indians is on the table.
At the annual convention of the National Congress of American Indians, the discussion of black Indians drew a large crowd with diverse opinions.

On the one hand African American-Indians complained about the Seminole of Oklahoma position of removing freedmen from the tribal rolls and denying a right to discover who they are. Tribes in areas where African Americans were very few argued that feeling like an American Indian spiritually is not enough.

The arguments strike the center of tribal adoption, enrollment and growing up with the culture.

Parallels in the two cultures can be drawn as a comparison of cultural commonplace. Yet, the American Indian argument goes to the heart of Indian country, sovereignty.

During the NCAI panel discussion it was pointed out that African Americans "do not, have not had nor will have sovereignty or land base as an argument for tribal membership.

"Two-thirds or three-fourths of blacks have some ties to the Indian community. The Freedman rolls are important and I'm disturbed by the Seminole move to deny the freedmen enrollment," said Dr. Willard R. Johnson, Oklahoma professor.

Dr. Robert Wilkins, Lumbee and a professor at the University of Minnesota, said the reason some tribes cannot be federally recognized is because of the perception a large number of non-Indians are part of the tribe. There is no research to identify the black-Indian population.

"In the Southwest with the Navajo, there is a tri-racial group - Spanish, Navajo and white - and in the Great Lakes region it is also tri-racial, French, tribal and white," Wilkins said.

Patrick Minge, member of the panel and researcher of African American-Indian cultures, said both groups were victims of assimilation and colonialization. "Both were called savages. Each had strong oral traditions with powerful cultural traditions, and they had a similar way of dealing with life and death with shamans' healing powers."

Similarities in music and drums bring the two cultures together and each brought about healing with earthly medicines. Other arguments for similarities address the fact both cultures viewed warfare as a noble pursuit. The two often were educated together and worked to preserve the cultures.

Danny Glover, well-known actor, told the delegates the relationship between African Americans and American Indians in the past has been a partnership at times and adversarial at times.

He said the one thing both cultures share is the determination to care for the children. "All of us talk about our youth. We need to share the vision of the youth, support the growth and integrity of their vision. We must listen to them," Glover said.

"They will be on this dais tomorrow."

Glover just finished a movie on the Buffalo Soldiers. He said he wanted to tell the story and it gave him an opportunity to film and explore the relationship between the African Americans and the American Indian.

"Statistics are very glaring in both our communities - the highest rate of imprisonment, heart disease and high blood pressure. And so we both share a place where we know there is so much work to do in our communities.

"My being here is to find ways we can share our respective wisdoms, find the common ground which we can talk about, what that future could possibly be."

The melding of cultures, panelists agreed, came as the slaves from Africa attempted to escape and were sheltered by the tribes of the eastern coastal region. These slaves were adopted into the tribes because some married tribal members and, for the most part, acted as tribal members, the historians said.

The panelists agree it was difficult for African Americans to do family genealogy unless they can search tribal rolls. "When blacks are connected to the Native American community, they are more complete," Dr. Johnson said.

Young African Americans come from a different perspective. Sovereignty is not understood in the African American community, but the young American Indian learns to preserve the culture, language and thus the sovereignty, panelists said.

Enrollment in today's tribes involve blood quantum, but the question is how to return to the traditional method of adoption as a practice, Wilma Mankiller, former principal chief of the Cherokee Nation and panel facilitator, said.

Federally recognized tribes are not associations, they are nations, and therefore creating members who believe they are spiritually connected because it is their heart is not an option in all tribes, audience participants said. Today there are more African Americans coming out to pow wows and looking for the spiritual piece that was missing in their lives, another said. Some people are part black and part American Indian and, in some cases, they are alienated in both cultures, an audience member said.

"It's staggering what goes on in Indian country that gets ignored. I've never found a need to search for my white roots. Some people are looking for spirituality and some say, 'It's in my heart.' No it isn't," Wilkins said. "That's what's going on in Seminole.

African Americans will continue to find their roots within the American Indian community regardless of the Seminole decision to deny the freedmen rights as tribal members. It is the right of each tribe to define membership, according to their constitutions, as accepted by the BIA.

There is no doubt the African American community made a connection with American Indians and changed the makeup of some tribes.

Historically African Americans came to Indian country as slaves, soldiers and missionaries. They learned the English language well and became ministers in the Christian faith. Since American Indians had little trust for white America, the African American missionaries were sent into Indian country to convert tribal members to Christianity, panel historians said.

The dialogue between the two cultures is under way and the NCAI will continue to place that issue on its agenda, officials said.

To: Chief Eaglefeather (BLACKINDIANS)  (7 of 10) 
 640.7 in reply to 640.2 
In case you haven't seen this...

And fyi for the rest of the posters...

Please check out this article and go to this link...

(I felt and thought that the article was far too long to post
here)...

Anyway...

BENEATH THE UNDERDOG: RACE, RELIGION AND THE 'TRAIL OF TEARS'

http://users.rcn.com/wovoka/underdg7.html

Take care...

Peace...

To: ctj527  (8 of 10) 
 640.8 in reply to 640.3 
Again: Remember that the 'black indian' rose out of adversity
and necessity faced by those enslaved africans who stole
back their freedom and make alliances with friendly local
native peoples... Hello CTJ527

Yes, for a time this was true, but not always. What many Natives and Africans Do not realize is that the migration also formed out of love. Even today, integration is because people are tired of racism. Weather it comes from any of the Four Sacred peoples of Mother Earth. Some people are tired. These are the people who I enjoy company with. Now, Black Indian was used because of the Strength of black Gene Pool. Whatever it mixes with in most cases, that is what we all see. There are some cases that show differently and that isn't to common. But it does happen.

BlackIndians today or the offspring of two great nations and that is correct, but it wasn't all because of slavery and the like. Now, what is a BlackIndian one might ask? That is a good question. Since most do not have an African Culture, many have embraced to the best of there ability the culture that is closes to them. If one can cultivate both, and that gives them peace, then so be it. What bothers me today is people telling someone who they are and how they can or cannot be because of a peace of paper, or because they feel that since they are, then someone cannot be. We are who we believe we are. I know that can be taken the wrong way and it isn't meant to be, however I will elaborate on what I mean another time.

Being BlackNatives Mean that you do have a culture, and you are not crazy in thinking and knowing and feeling the calling in your spirit that says that you belong to this part of mother earth. That your Tribal Spirit is not forgotten and that the feeling of Fellowship with the Drum is Real. Being BlackIndian means that your ancestors both sides did come together and you are here because of it. And respecting their culture and ways is good and right.

So many felt for so long that something was wrong with them. For some, it started just watching an Indian movie. Since they always Lost the battle. Or maybe the sound of the Drum. For most that I have spoken to, it was the Hearing of a Grandmother or Grandfather telling them in a hush, hush manor that they are Native American and not Just Black or African. It was those who died together hand in hand that we represent. And because of them we are Proud. Proud for both African and Indian, and I feel that we must, show not just African and Native but the world that we Are proud of who we are. And that we do exists. And not only that, but we take the time to learn the culture and cultivate it in our everyday lives because that is what makes us alive. We feel good and we grow. We Mature. In learning culture many times we follow our ancestors and those they have placed in our path that can teach and instruct. So many have learned from true warriors such as Crazy Horse, Martin Luther King and other great warriors. Those people have and still can teach us Culture, and the ways that we should walk. The Red Road and every single way has been tried and tested by our elders and ancestors. For many they are secret, but for those who have the spirit to learn, they will be the ones that learn in full measure.

Our culture begins with our Past, our ancestors, and our relationship with Creator. That is what the old ones trough us. And when we have this, we can begin to know who we are. It is the sacred hoop concept. Vertical is our relationship with Creator, and Horizontal is our relationship with Mother Earth. Our Circle is ourselves.

I do wish you a Very Happy New Year. And an Awesome year to come.

Blessings to all of you.

Chief Jerry Eaglefeather
BlackIndians.com

Edited 12/30/2002 10:34:30 AM ET by Chief Eaglefeather (BLACKINDIANS)

Edited 12/30/2002 10:35:11 AM ET by Chief Eaglefeather (BLACKINDIANS)

To: Chief Eaglefeather (BLACKINDIANS)  (9 of 10) 
 640.9 in reply to 640.8 

Greetings To All, and Peace.

Chief EagleFeather, thank you for the previous response.In your words are good medicine for all who will receive it.

I know the Call of the Ancestors and the Spirit of Turtle Island has been always strong within me. Long before I ever heard of Dawes, Baker or anybody-else rolls, I knew I was a blackindian. As a child, it was just there, within me. I honor it, I love and cherish it and it is my mine by way of the Great Spirit.

We have much to teach as well as learn, if we will. The Ancestors and The Creator have called us to stand and represent the beauty of who we are. May we answer that call with the fullness of spirit and joy of heart. When we reclaim and walk in the beauty of who we are, we will teach others another forgotten and denied part of the history of this land. May we walk in peace, beauty and in a sacred manner. Good Medicine, Chief, Yokoke!!!

Safe Journey in the Coming Year to all,
SummerRain

To: Chief Eaglefeather (BLACKINDIANS) unread  (10 of 10) 
 640.10 in reply to 640.8 
Osiyo, Chief Eaglefeather...

Yes..

I have read and reread your reply...

But I believe that I might've left the wrong impression as to
where I'm coming from...

Or--perhaps--we just have different viewpoints about the same
subject?

Or--perhaps--you just said things differently than I did...

Y'see, I believe that human beings with open minds and warm
hearts would realize and recognize the same things, i. e.,
that some of the people in the same siuations, faced with meager
rations, working from can't see to can't see, being driven
by the lash beyond normal endurance to produce things which
eventually made other people rich, some would naturally and normally
turn to each other for mutual support, etc.

And those who stole back their liberty et al for mutual defense?

After that: Some folk would and did find the other worthy of
being lovemates...

But, first and foremost, I haven't found that we write/speak enough
about how their different cultures and traditions got merged, i. e.,
out of which came the present day black indian tribes...

Our unique inheritance?

And, in all due respect, I believe that it is the typical black
native's misconception of other indigenous folk which also at
the heart of our present day riffs...

That is: It is not our uniqueness which they have a problem with...

Again: It is our own folks' refusal or reluctance to accept their own uniqueness--and walk proudly into the sacred circles/powows with
their heads up high--which is at the heart of why some of other indigenous folk wonder if we're all that sure of who we are...

And it goes as a given that it is long overdue to demand our place
as equals but on the basis of our uniqueness among people of African descent in the United States...

They do not truly understand what it means to be 'African' either...

Instead?

The African identity rises up out of the life experiences of
living among a crosssection of the world's humanity as well...

So--to me--it's become far too easy to simply blame this on--and see the solution on the basis of people striving to rise above anybody's bigotry and racism ad naseum...

Therefore I must agree to disagree with you

This time...

Regardless: Let us always be able to disagree without being
disagreeable...

Best wishes...

Peace...

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.