Computers, Tech & the Web -  New Win 10 can't run Chrome, Firefox (443 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-11 2:20 AM 
To: All  (1 of 11) 
ZDNet  - ‎May 9, 2017‎

The desktop version of Google Chrome will not be coming to Windows 10 S. Windows 10 S, announced last week, allows users to install only apps that are distributed through the Windows Store.   That lineup includes some desktop apps, but only if they've been converted to a package that can be delivered through the Windows Store, using a toolset called the Desktop Bridge (previously code-named Project Centennial)...In theory, Google could use those tools to turn the desktop version of its Chrome browser into an app package. For that matter, so could Mozilla with Firefox, or Opera, or any of dozens of small, independent browser makers. Several developers tell me they have successfully converted desktop browsers based on the Chromium code base using the Desktop Bridge. But if Google or Mozilla or any of those smaller developers submitted one of those packages to the Store for distribution, the submission would be rejected. The restriction is spelled out in the latest revision of the Windows Store Policies.

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-11 2:54 AM 
To: All  (2 of 11) 
 9467.2 in reply to 9467.1 
Forbes

Microsoft has an all new version of Windows 10, confusingly called 'Windows 10 S' which promises to be a faster, cheaper and more secure version of Windows 10. But Microsoft has now confirmed not only does Windows 10S have a serious , it is one that cannot be fixed… The problem stems from Microsoft’s decision to only allow software installation on Windows 10S if it comes via the official Windows Store. Right now the Store is a wasteland and avoided by both Apple and Google among many others. But it’s about to get worse...Apps that browse the web must use the appropriate HTML and JavaScript engines provided by the Windows Platform.  This is not the language Chrome is written in (nor Opera) so in order for Google to make the world’s most popular web browser available on Windows 10S it wouldn’t just have to repackage and list it in the Windows Store, it would have to completely rewrite the core code of the browser. Even then Windows 10S does not allow users to change the default browser from Microsoft Edge and the search engine from Bing.

From: Ask me about my blorum! (Kidmagnet) DelphiPlus Member IconMay-11 10:30 AM 
To: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 11) 
 9467.3 in reply to 9467.2 

Oh happy day.... not.

From: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member IconAug-1 5:09 PM 
To: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 11) 
 9467.4 in reply to 9467.2 

UGH   DORKS!!!!!!!!

From: Cstar1 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostAug-2 9:17 AM 
To: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 11) 
 9467.5 in reply to 9467.2 

What a stupid decision. 

Tell a story. Tell it live. 

What's your passion? Science? Art? Family? Build your own forum in seconds!

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostAug-2 1:16 PM 
To: Cstar1 DelphiPlus Member Icon   (6 of 11) 
 9467.6 in reply to 9467.5 

Given that I find Edge a subpar browser, the Win10 plan will guarantee I won't buy any machine that has the Firefox/Chrome restrictions.

From: Cstar1 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostAug-4 8:26 PM 
To: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 11) 
 9467.7 in reply to 9467.6 

I used Edge to download Chrome. That was the one and only time it was ever used!

Tell a story. Tell it live. 

What's your passion? Science? Art? Family? Build your own forum in seconds!

From: Dragoness (1Dragones) DelphiPlus Member IconAug-12 11:58 AM 
To: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 11) 
 9467.8 in reply to 9467.1 
Microsoft has just guaranteed that I'll never buy a computer with Windows 10 S.  I'm still on Windows 7 Pro on my desktop, and Windows 7 Home Premium on my laptop and finding enough difficulties with both versions of that aging system.

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostAug-12 12:37 PM 
To: Dragoness (1Dragones) DelphiPlus Member Icon unread  (9 of 11) 
 9467.9 in reply to 9467.8 

While Win 10 has solid stability and speed, the continued disadvantages Microsoft adds ruin what potentially was a decent product.

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostAug-12 12:43 PM 
To: Cstar1 DelphiPlus Member Icon  unread  (10 of 11) 
 9467.10 in reply to 9467.7 

The new browser also won't let you use IE 11 or Opera.

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | About Delphi
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.