Using Delphi /Delphi News -  Habits Of Highly Ineffective Hosts (495 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: CDP (PerraultC) DelphiPlus Member IconJun-17 12:53 PM 
To: All  (1 of 25) 

The Top Habits Of Highly Ineffective Hosts

Kidmagnet has given us some great posts on how to be a better host. Her recommendations on how to be a COSI host are a must read (http://forums.delphiforums.com/nutbowl/messages/?msg=442.1).

So we have some ideas as to what some of the best qualities are in a good forum host. Now I'm going to be a negative Nancy and ask you:

What are some of the things hosts do that really get under your skin? What do they do that makes you want to avoid them and their forums?

Now I'm not looking for specifics or to name names. What I want to do is shine a light on habits a host may have that negatively impacts his/her forum. Many hosts may not even know that their users find it off-putting. Or maybe they aren't so much annoying as much as they just don't lead to motivated members?

To give an idea, I'll refer to something that is a pretty common complaint for many people (and not a problem at all for many others) - individual welcome messages. Some feel it's a nice gesture from the host. Others feel it's just a tacky way to increase traffic. It's not always meant that way, but that's what many opponents of it see. Often times it's a folder full of welcome messages to each person that has visited. And in this case I'm not referring to saying 'welcome' to a person that has posted for the first time, but to every visitor that has yet to post. For some it's a pet-peeve while others don't mind at all.

I know people have varying opinions on this, so it's stuff like this that I want to hear from forum members about.

What is it about us hosts that drive you up the wall?

Again lets not use this as a forum for criticising people or forums by name. This is meant as a high level constructive exercise.

• Edited June 17, 2017 12:56 pm  by  CDP (PerraultC)

From: CDP (PerraultC) DelphiPlus Member IconJun-17 12:54 PM 
To: All  (2 of 25) 
 9474.2 in reply to 9474.1 

A way of turning the question around also is to ask, what is it about the forums you are active in, that drives you to post and interact?

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-17 3:13 PM 
To: CDP (PerraultC) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 25) 
 9474.3 in reply to 9474.1 

Since many people like to browse and not post, a welcome post is IMHO an awful idea.   Some people simply don't want them, and personally I don't go back to forums that use them.

I also almost never go to a forum that runs a promo that attacks another forum, and I see some promos like that.   Saying things like "we're the only" or "we're real and others are imitations" or "we're better" simply are unnecessary.   While Gunter nabs the blatant ones like that, a few hosts subtly do it.  In other words, be positive - tell people why your thread/forum is interesting -rather than insinuate yours is better than another.

Forums that allow forum wars - negative comments about other forums - are simply bad forums.  In my own forums, I have a posted rule against this and eliminate such posts.

• Edited June 18, 2017 5:25 pm  by  Glen (GEAATL)

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-18 5:32 PM 
To: Lurk (lurkmagnet) unread  (4 of 25) 
 9474.4 in reply to 9474.3 

A few downer's from promos:

• Promos that mention forum rules (forums should have rules, but a promo isn't the place for them).   Strangely, I see a few forums that do these type promos
  • Promos with typos (Gunter catches many of them, and I've done it myself), but it's important to proofread promos.
  • Promos that attack with name-calling - tends to happen with political forums.   There is a difference from a promo that says "Trump lied" (an argument or fact, fine for a promo) and one that pokes fun or name calls ("Donald Dump" or "Trump's a terd" -both of which don't pull in people).   Contrast "Democrats are wrong" (ok in a promo) with "Demoncrats"(not ok).

Also not likeable:

• Forums that ban lurkers and lock out people that don't post
  • Forums that get a reputation for locking out a lot of people the host doesn't like (different than locking out spammers and people that consistently violate rules)

From: LegendsOfBatman (hithrees) DelphiPlus Member IconJun-21 10:06 PM 
To: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 25) 
 9474.5 in reply to 9474.4 

Glen, you mention some great points.
I have always liked welcome posts, to get to know people and people to tell us about themselves. I've never thought that people would completely avoid forums that have them, b ut, I do see many people do not post in them; which I have taken as their way of showng they don't care for them. Will have to think about that one; maybe for now, I will edit that, and mention that while people are not obligated to share, it is always interesting to get to know people better, and if you do not care to share, that's ok. I'm not sure, right now. So, some things to think about there.

People really use promos to cut down other forums? Yikes. "Hey come on over here, we hate XYZ Forum. Btw, we'll hate you too" Nah, don't think so. 
I don't like banning people too much. So, I totally agree there. Spammers, and people who are intentionally or constantly disrespectful will find themselves banned. But, because people have different opinions? No.

Thanks for the tips. Pretty much common sense, but, thats not always so common. 
Tim

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-21 10:10 PM 
To: LegendsOfBatman (hithrees) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 25) 
 9474.6 in reply to 9474.5 

LegendsOfBatman (hithrees) said...

People really use promos to cut down other forums? Yikes. "Hey come on over here, we hate XYZ Forum. Btw, we'll hate you too" Nah, don't think so. 

It's more subtle (something that blatant would likely be pulled by Delphi)...  things like "we're the only real _________" on Delphi (which is a near exact quote of something I have seen a couple forums do, when there are similar forums out there).

Many people online are very sensitive to privacy, so the welcome post to them is an invasion of that privacy.   Perhaps a forum that wanted to do them might try a welcome email via a Delphi profile?

From: CDP (PerraultC) DelphiPlus Member IconJun-22 3:52 AM 
To: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 25) 
 9474.7 in reply to 9474.3 

I think any forum that is that outwardly negative (even in thinly veiled ways) is an automatic turnoff. Fortunately I've never had to deal with that with any of my forums ( I don't have other forums to feud with).

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-22 7:31 AM 
To: CDP (PerraultC) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 25) 
 9474.8 in reply to 9474.7 

CDP (PerraultC) said...

I think any forum that is that outwardly negative (even in thinly veiled ways) is an automatic turnoff.

Having some upbeat components (even in a political forum,where that can be a challenge) makes a place feel like home.   And where you do a news forum with negative news, where that stays on issues, rather than attacks on members, the forum is far more inviting.

From: LegendsOfBatman (hithrees) DelphiPlus Member IconJun-22 8:21 PM 
To: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 25) 
 9474.9 in reply to 9474.6 

Thanks. 
Perhaps. Im a huge privacy advocate. But at the same time, I think its cool to get to know people; but at the same time, people who don't want to shouldn't feel like they have to. So, Im rethinking how to do that. For those who like to share who they are, and those who dont. But, I know I wont please everyone. (I can try tho, right? lol)

From: CDP (PerraultC) DelphiPlus Member IconJun-23 12:00 AM 
To: LegendsOfBatman (hithrees) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 25) 
 9474.10 in reply to 9474.9 

Well, there's no pleasing everyone. It really comes down to doing things in the most tactful way possible - making guests feel welcome while  at the same time not  bombarding them or making them seem forced.

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-25
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | About Delphi
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.