Congress & the Courts -  Steinle verdict draws ire (64 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostDec-1 10:32 AM 
To: All  (1 of 4) 

Huffpost: Jose Ines Garcia Zarate, an undocumented immigrant from Mexico, was found not guilty Thursday in the homicide of Kate Steinle, a case that has become a flashpoint for the right in calling for stricter immigration rules.

Garcia Zarate was accused of fatally shooting Steinle in July 2015 when she was walking on Pier 14 in San Francisco with her father. The jury acquitted him of murder and manslaughter charges and convicted him of a lesser felony charge of gun possession, reported the San Francisco Chronicle. 

Garcia Zapata, who was homeless, had multiple felony convictions and had been deported five times before Steinle’s death, The New York Times reported. He had been released from jail months before the shooting, despite federal immigration requests to hold him for deportation. Hours after the verdict, federal immigration officials said he would be deported, according to The Associated Press.

Reply   Options 

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostDec-1 10:35 AM 
To: All  (2 of 4) 
 32100.2 in reply to 32100.1 

An undocumented immigrant, whose case Donald Trump consistently cited as rationale for a border wall during the campaign, was found not guilty of first-degree murder Thursday, a verdict President Trump said was “disgraceful.”

“A disgraceful verdict in the Kate Steinle case! No wonder the people of our Country are so angry with illegal immigration,” Trump tweeted Thursday night after the jury found Garcia Zarate, a Mexican man who has been deported from the U.S. five times, not guilty of the first degree murder of Steinle.

The young woman was walking on a popular San Francisco pier with her father and a friend when she was shot and killed in July 2015. Zarate’s defense argued he didn’t intentionally shoot Steinle, but rather the gun he found accidentally fired when he picked it up.

Trump called the jury’s decision a “travesty of justice” and tweeted “BUILD THE WALL!” Friday morning. He then took a swift turn, blaming Democrats for being “weak on crime” and claiming they would “pay a big price in the 2018 and 2020 elections.”

@realDonaldTrump A disgraceful verdict in the Kate Steinle case! No wonder the people of our Country are so angry with Illegal Immigration. 8:30 PM - Nov 30, 2017

To: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 4) 
 32100.3 in reply to 32100.1 

I think they are forgetting that he's been in jail this entire time and will continue to be in jail. I'm sure that gives them enough time to figure out how to deport him. 

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostDec-3 10:44 PM 
To: BlueMoon67 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 4) 
 32100.4 in reply to 32100.3 

I don't know. FoxNews is running with this thing 24/7 and linking it to sanctuary cities. I don't even think the sanctuary part applies because the purpose is not to report people with minor crimes. This guy doesn't fit that.

Forum Host, Liberal Heaven
Assistant Moderator,YDD-Yellow Dog Democrats

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.