Congress & the Courts -  Dems Jones, Smith to be sworn in today (79 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-3 9:22 AM 
To: All  (1 of 5) 

WASHINGTON (AP) Two new Democrats will be sworn in to the U.S. Senate on Wednesday, narrowing the Republican majority and complicating efforts by Majority Leader Mitch McConnell to advance the White House’s legislative agenda before the midterm elections in November.

Doug Jones, the first Alabama Democrat elected to the Senate in a quarter century, is one of two new members who will take the oath of office on the Senate floor at noon. The other is Minnesota Lt. Gov. Tina Smith, who was appointed to replace Al Franken following the Democrat’s resignation over accusations of sexual misconduct. Smith also plans to compete in the special election taking place in November to complete the final two years of Franken’s term.

They will narrow the Republican majority to 51-49.

Jones, 63, will represent one of the most conservative states in the nation and is stressing his desire to work with both parties. He will be under pressure to find some areas of agreement with Republicans and has cited the funding of infrastructure improvements as one possible avenue.

“I will be an independent voice and work to find common ground with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to get Washington back on track and fight to make our country a better place for all,” Jones said after defeating Republican Roy Moore in a special election rocked by allegations of sexual misconduct against Moore. Jones will take the seat once held by Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

Reply   Options 

From: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member IconJan-4 12:31 PM 
To: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 5) 
 32454.2 in reply to 32454.1 

Murkowski and Collins are Rinos, they can be counted on by no one in particular.

Warren

USCG Engineer 1961-1982

To: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 5) 
 32454.3 in reply to 32454.2 

I go the opposite way of thinking than you do. I believe that Murkowski and Collins are the real Republicans and the rest of the bunch of so called Republicans are mostly neo-Nazis, alt right or just plain out lunatics. 

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-4 4:08 PM 
To: Mort15 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 5) 
 32454.4 in reply to 32454.3 

30 years ago, those two wouldn't even be considered moderate Republicans. The Republican party has lurched far to the right and Trump is taking them into dangerous territory

Forum Host, Liberal Heaven
Assistant Moderator,YDD-Yellow Dog Democrats

To: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 5) 
 32454.5 in reply to 32454.4 

I totally agree with you. If that poster was really honest with himself he would have no choice but to agree with us.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.