The Media is the Message -  Joe Scar: Like Grandpa in front of tv (48 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-12 8:51 AM 
To: All  (1 of 5) 

Raw Story: MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough said President Donald Trump’s racist “shithole” remarks have undercut White House efforts to disprove alarming claims about his mental fitness.

The president insulted immigrants from Haiti and African nations during an Oval Office meeting with lawmakers, and wondered why the U.S. didn’t try to attract people from mostly white countries like Norway — and the “Morning Joe” host pointed out he’s made similar remarks before.

“This, of course, is the same president who was accused several weeks ago of saying that we didn’t want people from Haiti to come to the United States because they all had AIDS, also said derogatory comments about people coming, I believe it was from Nigeria, once they left their huts, they would never want to go back,” Scarborough said.

Scarborough said the White House had spent this week trying to show Trump was capable and competent, after author Michael Wolff published a book claiming all of the president’s aides agreed he is not very intelligent and possible suffering from dementia.

“So there you go, more ignorance spewing from a president was going to spend this week trying to prove that he’s fit for office and he hasn’t lost a step mentally, but these bizarre rantings and ravings sound, I’ll say it, sounds like grandpa sitting in front of the TV set when he’s getting old and losing it and that sort of thing,” Scarborough said. “You can’t say that, grandpa, be quiet. Except this guy is president of the United States and the damage it does, especially when Paul Ryan, Mitch McConnell and other Republicans remain silent in the face of such hatred and bigotry.”

Reply   Options 

To: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 5) 
 32577.2 in reply to 32577.1 

I see it as a comment on the conditions in some countries, rather than the people themselves, and the point is should skilled immigrants be given priority over a limited refugee program. "Shithouse countries" are those that due to violence, corruption, poverty, disease, etc need assistance at the source of the problem rather than simply helping a small minority escape those conditions.

Here in Australia, the Government explicitly describes "shithouse countries" (though with more polite language) in its Level 4 travel warnings. 

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-15 8:11 AM 
To: Ken (kjodwyer)  (3 of 5) 
 32577.3 in reply to 32577.2 

If they don't use the language, they aren't explicitly describing countries. And immigration is about people, not countries

Forum Host, Liberal Heaven
Assistant Moderator,YDD-Yellow Dog Democrats

To: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 5) 
 32577.4 in reply to 32577.3 
Marci (marcinmin) said...

If they don't use the language, they aren't explicitly describing countries.

The Level 4 warnings I referred to describe the dreadful conditions in a number of countries. 

And immigration is about people, not countries

The issue is really about refugees vs skilled migrants.  A limited refugee program that allows a very small number of people to escape their dreadful conditions is only patching a problem that could be better addressed by increasing aid at the source of the problem.

Here a recently formed group called the African-Australian Task Force has been set up to investigate crime & violence among the African youth here.  I am not blaming the African youth but I do wonder if we have helped them by bringing them into a foreign culture where they feel alienated.

These are significant issues which could be addressed in this controversy without MSM screaming "racist" to try to shut down any dialogue.

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-15 9:45 PM 
To: Ken (kjodwyer) unread  (5 of 5) 
 32577.5 in reply to 32577.4 

if you understood the immigration issue, you would know that there are different categories and both skilled and unskilled labor are needed

Forum Host, Liberal Heaven
Assistant Moderator,YDD-Yellow Dog Democrats

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.