The Media is the Message -  CBS exec placed on leave (24 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostOct-4 11:44 PM 
To: All  (1 of 1) 

It is sad that a different network has to do the investigating, but it is kind of a reality in the corporate world - not just in entertainment. Management protects their own. If a lower level employee had these kinds of accusations they would boot him/her out and make the employee an example of their intolerance to harassment and a hostile work environment.

Brian Stelter:

Chloe Melas has been working on this story for weeks. She emails: CBS exec Vinnie Favale was placed on administrative leave on Wednesday following a CNN investigation. I spoke with nine current and former employees of "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert" who accused the SVP of talent for CBS Televisions Studios of using sexual and homophobic language in the workplace. Some of the sources also claimed that Favale retaliated after they reported his behavior to HR.

Among the accusations: Employees alleged that Favale spoke openly about having an erection while watching Jennifer Hudson rehearse for the show and called employees and guests "homos" and "gay." Several employees also recalled disparaging remarks he would make about women, including saying that Rachel Maddow shouldn't be booked on the show because she "looks like a man."

Favale's response: "Allegations that I have ever retaliated against anyone in any fashion are 100% false. I have spent my entire career working at comedy shows, where there has always been a wide latitude to make transgressive jokes while preparing the program. While we make a lot of jokes, these jokes attributed to me, whether said in rehearsals or production meetings, are being taken out of context and were not said in the way being presented here." Here's the full story...

Colbert candidly addressed Melas's story on the air Wednesday night. Without saying Favale's name, he acknowledged that the exec "used to be the liaison to this show."

"He basically came with the building when I got this show and he used to be around here a lot," Colbert said. "Well, about six months into this show, some of our employees said that they were uncomfortable with some of the things that he said. So we took their complaints to HR. They investigated -- twice. But I don't really know what, if anything, happened."

I was struck by what Colbert said next: "It seemed like someone was protecting this guy. I don't know who it was. We eventually convinced the network to make a change." Meaning, he was shifted into a new role with less "Late Show" interaction.

"So I'm grateful to CNN for writing this article," Colbert said. "Because the press is not the enemy of the people. This is why you WANT a free press. This is why you want investigative journalism. It's to make sure that government and companies and people are accountable for their actions." He used that as a segue back to Kavanaugh...

Reply   Options 

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.