The Media is the Message -  All networks to air Trump speech (103 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-7 11:24 PM 
To: All  (1 of 10) 

HUffpost: All the major television networks in America will air President Donald Trump’s address on the border wall live on Tuesday after the White House requested they carve out space in their prime-time lineups.

ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC all confirmed Monday they would carry the president’s speech at 9 p.m. Eastern time after Trump said he planned to address the country “on the humanitarian and national security crisis at our southern border.” Some cable networks, including CNN and MSNBC, which cater to smaller audiences, said they plan to air the speech as well. 

Reply   Options 

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-8 8:54 AM 
To: All  (2 of 10) 
 36315.2 in reply to 36315.1 

Brian Stelter's take:

One of the powers of the presidency is the prime time Oval Office address to the nation. President Trump has decided to use this power to discuss his demands for border wall funding. Will he change any minds?

We're going to find out. On Monday afternoon Trump announced a Tuesday 9 p.m. ET address. Bill Shine followed up with reporters and said it would be Trump's first time delivering a speech from the Oval Office. It is expected to be a short speech... about eight minutes... and it could include Trump's announcement of a "national emergency" declaration. 

The White House officially requested airtime from the broadcast networks, as is customary in these cases. "He calls us fake news all the time, but needs access to airwaves and cable pipes to deliver his false narrative," a TV exec texted me shortly after the request came in.

Execs at the networks deliberated for a few hours, keeping in mind Trump's record of deception and other factors. Eventually CBS said yes, it would air the address, and NBC and ABC followed within minutes... The Fox broadcast network and PBS, too. Here's what Oliver Darcy and I wrote for CNN...

Equal time?

Oliver Darcy emails: After the broadcast networks said they would air Trump's prime time address, Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer released a joint statement demanding equal air time. "Now that the television networks have decided to air the President’s address, which if his past statements are any indication will be full of malice and misinformation, Democrats must immediately be given equal airtime," Pelosi and Schumer said.

But as of 11:30 p.m. ET, it's still unclear if the networks will grant their request. None of the broadcasters have commented yet. (CNN has said it will carry both speeches.) 

>> Stelter adds: According to a network source, it seems likely that the broadcasters will agree to the Dem request, but "they haven't yet because they need more information first. Who is going to speak? For how long?"

Anger on the left

My social media feeds have been full of commenters saying that TV networks should not an air an address that's likely to be filled with falsehoods and fear-mongering. I understand where they're coming from, I really do. Trump's distortions about immigration are deeply disturbing. But for network execs, tradition and news judgment — "a presidential address from the Oval Office" — outweighed concerns about the content. It will be incumbent on anchors and reporters to make sure the facts are front and center during the special coverage.

And if I may just make one more point, I think the daily deluge of mis- and dis-information is a more pronounced problem than a single prime time speech...

"Tune into CBS to See B.S."

Stephen Colbert tweeted Monday night: "My network will be carrying Trump’s Wall speech live. So at 9pm Tuesday, tune into CBS to See B.S."

From: Dan (DANCULBERSON) DelphiPlus Member IconJan-8 9:47 AM 
To: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 10) 
 36315.3 in reply to 36315.1 

Marci (marcinmin) said...

All the major television networks in America will air President Donald Trump’s address on the border wall live on Tuesday after the White House requested they carve out space in their prime-time lineups.

Let me be the first to predict that at Trump's "address" tonight, he pulls a Nixon, after being informed by Mueller and the Congressional leaders, and announces his resignation from the presidency. Then he plans to escape the country with all of his family in order to avoid extradition and facing criminal charges for all that he has done as the president.

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-8 11:50 AM 
To: Dan (DANCULBERSON) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 10) 
 36315.4 in reply to 36315.3 

I wish

Forum Host, Liberal Heaven
Assistant Moderator,YDD-Yellow Dog Democrats

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-8 11:57 AM 
To: All  (5 of 10) 
 36315.5 in reply to 36315.1 

Pelosi and Schumer to deliver Dem response after Trump's speech:

CNN: Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer will deliver a response to President Trump’s address tonight.

Their remarks will come sometime after the conclusion of Trump's 9 p.m. ET speech.

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-8 10:32 PM 
To: All  (6 of 10) 
 36315.6 in reply to 36315.1 

didn''t watch it. Just more lies and a manufactured crisis. Networks should think twice about granting Trump prime time air time again

Huffpost:

Every major television network handed President Donald Trump prime airtime on Tuesday night to repeat debunked lies about immigration.

Trump made no new announcements and broke no new ground in his prime-time televised address. He repeated his demand for $5.7 billion in border wall money to end the nearly three-week partial shutdown of the federal government, offering the deal as the only solution to a major national security crisis. He put the onus on congressional lawmakers to craft such a plan to reopen more than half a dozen federal agencies that have remained partly shuttered since before Christmas.

“How much more American blood must we shed before Congress does its job?” Trump asked during the address. “For those who refuse to compromise in the name of job security, I would ask, imagine if it were your child, your husband or your wife whose life was so cruelly shattered and totally broken. To every member of Congress, pass a bill that ends this crisis.”

Trump repeated several mistruths in an attempt to tout the barrier, casting migrants seeking asylum in the U.S. as criminals and listing off a slew of crimes that critics saw as an attempt to generate fear.

To: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 10) 
 36315.7 in reply to 36315.6 

Old Millot watched both the Trump speech and the Democratic response on PBS. 

Interesting that the news pundits commenting upon the "old pussy grabber's" oval office speech on PBS were:

Judy Woodruff

Yamiche Alcindor

Lisa Desjardins

Amna Nawaz

Amy Walter

No male pundits in sight..... a nice touch...

The grownups in the room didn't like what they heard and saw from Trump....

Arf!

• Edited January 9, 2019 1:22 am  by  oldmillot

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-9 8:53 AM 
To: oldmillot  (8 of 10) 
 36315.8 in reply to 36315.7 

oldmillot said...

Old Millot watched both the Trump speech and the Democratic response on PBS. 

Interesting that the news pundits commenting upon the "old pussy grabber's" oval office speech on PBS were:

Judy Woodruff

Yamiche Alcindor

Lisa Desjardins

Amna Nawaz

Amy Walter

Sounds like a good panel. I refused to watch the speech live or record it. I did turn on Rachel Maddow for commentary as soon as the coast was clear

To: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 10) 
 36315.9 in reply to 36315.5 

Isn't it interesting that both Schumer and Pelosi have supported a border wall in the past. They have also been recorded referring to the, "illegal aliens" which they certainly are!! The head of the Border Patrol under Obama (and fired by Trump at the beginning of his term) recently stated that a wall is the best security against law breaking intruders.  The sad thing for the country is that the Democratic leaders (I use the term loosely in their case) oppose Trump on anything that he wants to do. If Trump pulled out a gun and shot a notorious terrorist, they would accuse him of using the wrong caliber of gun.

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-9 9:11 AM 
To: LangdonN unread  (10 of 10) 
 36315.10 in reply to 36315.9 

Schumer, Pelosi and just about everyone supports border security. They do not support 13th century technology of a fixed wall but a comprehensive strategy using modern technology: Some fixed structures such as walls and fencing, more border security, drones, increased high tech surveillance technology. The fact is that 12 times as many illegal aliens crossed into the U.S. from the northern border, but there are no plans to build a wall along the U.S. - Canadian border. NYT reported Trump campaign insiders admit the border wall was merely a memory trick to keep Trump on message during rallies and events and rev up the base. Now he is hemmed in with this border wall and only his most loyal supporters support it.

Schumer, Pelosi and Dems have offered a compromise for money for the wall and additional security in exchange for allowing DACA children amnesty and a shot at citizenship, but Trump nixed the idea.

Get your head out of the sand and research some actual facts, not the lies the Trump administration and rw media outlets have been feeding you. For 2 years, Mitch McConnell controlled the Senate, Paul Ryan controlled the House and Trump controlled the Presidency but they failed to deliver on a 'wall.' Blame them, not Dems.

• Edited January 9, 2019 9:14 am  by  Marci (marcinmin)

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.