All Politics is Local -  Galveston cops revive racist past (92 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostAug-7 8:52 AM 
To: All  (1 of 3) 

Wash Post:

In a pair of photos, two white lawmen atop horses guide a bound black man with a rope down a wide and empty street. If it weren’t for the cars and pavement, a quick glance may lead to the conclusion that they were colorized plates from the antebellum South.

But it was Saturday in the island city Galveston, Tex., and officers arrested Donald Neely on suspicion of criminal trespassing. They had horses, and a rope, but no patrol car to take Neely away. The officers attached the blue rope onto his handcuffs, and Neely, 43, was led to a mounted officer staging area.

Bystander photos from the arrest went viral across social media, with many African Americans saying the photos were reminiscent of captured slaves in the 1800s. The outcry prompted an apology on Monday from Galveston Chief Vernon L. Hale III, who called the arrest an “unnecessary embarrassment” for Neely.

“I believe our officers showed poor judgment in this instance and could have waited for a transport unit at the location of the arrest,” Hale said in a statement. The officers did not have “malicious intent,” Hale said.

Reply   Options 

To: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 3) 
 38209.2 in reply to 38209.1 

Had this been a white man there would have been nothing said...

• Edited August 17, 2019 9:31 am  by  Marci (marcinmin)

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostAug-17 9:30 AM 
To: RCBZ DelphiPlus Member Icon unread  (3 of 3) 
 38209.3 in reply to 38209.2 

and yet it wasn't. that's the point. bye troll

Click Below for my Forums:

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.