MaryLOhio

The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Support Eight Belles' connections   Horse Racing

Started by Russo (Railbird87); 8541 views.
Msg 71 of 79 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 70
prudery

5/7/08

A capital B is used to indicate butazolidin ... The L is certainly for Lasix, but the b I saw in the chart was a small b under equipment worn ...

You are correct---if both Lasix and Bute were used it woud read LB ... What I saw was Lb----Lasix and BANDAGES ...

If you post the chart, and I am wrong I stand corrected, but I believe the small b was used, which does mean bandages ...

In reply toRe: msg 52

5/8/08

This is in regards to Railbirds comments and I agree with her. Just my own opinion of course lol.

I too believed Eight Belles DID belong in this race. I watched her and bet her many times and she was something else.  I knew she could stand a chance. She was an awesome Filly. Awesome. I watch alot of racing and she was so big I knew she had the power to make it happen. She damn near did. Hate to see people arguing over this. Sad to see it. What should be happening here is a rememberance and also I do believe ALL her connections need some support. You have to remember the little people working with her daily not just the trainer and owners but the grooms and everyone else. I know this devastated them. I don't know why some people think that all the owners are in it for their egos. I truly believe they thought they could win this race. I know that if I was an owner I know I would make the right decision. I would have been proud to have a horse like this. Actually be proud to have any horse to tell the truth even if they lost. I must say tho I feel badly for Gabe the jockey. I wonder if he could find a lawyer and sue these people going after him. It is slander. If people can sue Mcdonalds for spilling Chili in their laps this kid stands a chance.

One thing I do know is if you guys really want to change racing get on over to Alex Waldrop's board on the www.ntra.com and leave a comment. He is looking for advice and comments and perhaps they can make changes. There has been almost 570 comments left and all the people have spoken nicely and honestly. Thank God for that. No fighting there. Lots of great ideas so if ya want to make some changes go over there and read those boards and add a comment.

As of today, I am feeling a bit better tho I am devastated at the loss of one wonderful horse. I am hoping Eight Belles will ring a bell to the racing organization and bring some changes.  I also hope all of the connections hearts will heal and that Gabe goes on to great things. That poor kid. I guess he just walked off the track and never went back to the jock's room to change. How sad is that. It was a sad day for all of us. You want to gripe,  how about that Kentucky Governor. What an embarrassment.  I feel bad for the people of Kentucky and hold nothing on them.

Guess I said enough here but I had to defend these connections because from every report I have read to the videos and replays she looked fantastic and deserved to be there. I hope they do find something to solve this mystery.

Thanks for reading and I am with ya Railbird!

Rest In Peace Eight Belles you are now with the best up there! You also did win that race in my book!

Msg 73 of 79 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 72
prudery

5/8/08

Lovely post ...

5/8/08

I have been hoping since this happened that it might have been a stroke, which is what you seem to be describing when you say something was "cut off." Collapsed jugular could equal no blood to the brain with subsequent collapse. Or maybe something else occurred to cause a stroke. Why do I want this to be the answer? Not to place blame on anyone. But I cannot deal with the fact that she was in physical pain, for however long she laid there and maybe, just MAYBE, she stroked out the part of her brain that felt pain in those shattered legs and she didn't feel a thing. God, I hope that is the case. Her death is bad enough; to think she was in pain is too much. I do NOT do well with animals having pain for any reason.
Msg 75 of 79 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 74
KathyElm

5/8/08

I completely agree...I hate to see animals sick and in pain. They don't understand it and I empathize with their fear over it.

With EB, it just looks like maybe, as she was being pulled up she was fighting it and it caused her to choke...in other words, cut off her air supply. It would cause a light headedness, possibly even a "faint" and if she was doing her crossfiring thing, she would not be able to repond quick enough to accomodate the gait change. Just my opinion, I watced the UTube in slow motion and normal speed and it seems like she arched her neck and then proeeded to collapse.

Kathy

5/8/08

I think it would be some comfort to know that she only looked as aware as she did. I haven't watched the videos and won't (no guts) but in the still photos I saw she looked pretty alert. I hope not. I prefer to think she was in mental and physical shock and didn't feel much.
In reply toRe: msg 71
SUED48

5/8/08

Isn't the little 'b'  blinkers?
In reply toRe: msg 77
hornsix1

5/9/08

I was just looking at some pics of Proud Spell during and after the Oaks and the thought struck me...............
Re: PETA's accusation that Larry Jones used steroids on Eight Belles. Do they even know that he also trains that little filly with the "ballerina" build? Guess he FORGOT to give PS the 'roids, huh?

So glad he fired right back at them and ordered the steroid test as part of the post-mortem! In your face!

Lorene1950

5/9/08

Hey Lynda,
Appreciate you printing this article.I can't get into the site. Thank you,
Lorene