Race Day medication reform   Horse Racing

Started by LyndaP31; 64630 views.
In reply toRe: msg 25
Amy (1pony)
Staff

9/6/11

McLaughlin and Darley get an atta boy IMHO

Novak: McLaughlin experiments with Salix-free juveniles

Trainer Kiaran McLaughlin has quietly been experimenting with running two-year-olds without anti-bleeding medication, reports Claire Novak for ESPN.  Novak says four times during the Saratoga meet, McLaughlin-trained juveniles racing for the Darley and Shadwell Stables went postward without Salix (Lasix).  One of the two-year-olds - a Darley runner named Alpha - won:

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/novak-mclaughlin-experiments-with-salix-free-juveniles/ 

Derby132

9/6/11

I meant to mention after his race that Alpha ran without Lasix.  Thanks for posting this.
Amy (1pony)
Staff

9/6/11

I like this, a nice quiet way of going about it and see what happens. I wish a few other trainers would also start this and let's see what happens.

In reply toRe: msg 28
Amy (1pony)
Staff

11/17/11

Lasix: Demystifying the drug, methods of training without it

Email
Staff illustration

Soon after leaving the service in the mid-1940s, Mel Stute went to work as a groom for trainer Yorkie McLeod at the old Tanforan Racetrack near San Francisco. McLeod had a funny way of trying to prevent his horses from the age-old problem of bleeding. He would ask his young groom to wrap copper wire around the base of a horse’s tail before a race − thin, eight-inch strips of the sort you would find in hardware stores.

http://www.drf.com/news/lasix-demystifying-drug-methods-training-without-it 

KYsally (kwsally)

11/17/11

Mizzy's owners are racing all of them without lasix and she said they all have done well - and they recuperate faster after a race without it.  I'm still a fan of no lasix/salix for ALL!

The pics were gross!

XXOO
Derby132

11/17/11

Good article, loved reading the comments and anecdotes from trainers who have been around awhile.

JJCUVEE

11/17/11

This is very interesting. Our 2 y.o. ny bred colts have had 2 races without lasix and scoped clean and came back very fresh the next day. Will race without lasix for awhile and take care to see what happens.   
Amy (1pony)
Staff

11/17/11

You are not the first person to make that comment, I read that from Kieran McLaughlin that the 2 year olds he is running without lasix are bouncing back better and are not bleeding. I just wish our trainers would condition the horses better, IMHO I do not think 1/2 of the horses racing are fit enough to run the race they are in.

KYsally (kwsally)

11/18/11

I SO agree with you.  I know you weren't sure on the lasix issue - but it seems that its better for them if they don't use it.

Yes alot of horses won't run if they can't run on lasix - but to me - if they can't run without it - they shouldn't be running!

XOXO
Derby132

11/18/11

ThoroEdge references the drf atricle you posted and gives his take on the subject...

EIPH: If You’re not Breezing, You’re Bleeding

>>the recent attention paid to the future of Lasix in US racing begs us to take a more detailed look at the role of conditioning and its effects on bleeding/EIPH. One point of this post is that every drug in the history of the world has negative side effects, some that take years to be discovered. Lasix is no exception. Drugs are shortcuts, meant to make things easier on the trainer and owner, often at the expense of the horse itself.

http://thoroedge.wordpress.com/2011/11/18/eiph-if-youre-not-breezing-youre-bleeding/