MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Race Day medication reform   Horse Racing

Started by LyndaP31; 75295 views.
Amy (1pony)
Staff

11/18/11

I have no problem with joint injections as long as it is inject and then rest a bit then back in training. Our show horses had to have help with their joints every now and then and it worked!
JJCUVEE

11/18/11

We have a wonderful women in FLorida who takes care of our babies and does what she says is laying down a foundation. Our trainer is from CHile and he  does  long gallops and then intermittent breezes.  He breezed the colts 7 f before their second race. Again, they did not blow hard after the race, came out fit , and we hope this will work for them. Their coats look great and they have good appetites and attitudes right now. They will go in the longer races . They can sit off the pace and relax and then come on in the end. It is less taxing than a full out run out of the gate. Our turf filly races the same way and I am struck by how I see older turf horses still doing well-including fillies-who can be tough after three.  You do have to be patient and let the horse become race fit , let them tell you how they want to race, let them learn what it is all about.  But then you can enjoy them for a few years and watch them grow up..as long as they stay sound. 
Amy (1pony)
Staff

11/18/11

That is all great for the horses, you do pick good trainers who put good foundation on their horses, that is a great thing!!

Derby132

12/6/11

GOOD for CASNER!!!!  He even did his own study - tons of info here:

Casner ‘weighs’ the consequences of Salix

Casner believes race-day use of Salix (furosemide, often referred to by its previous brand name, Lasix) should end because its side effects are causing North American Thoroughbreds to make fewer starts each year.

...Salix has proven effective at treating the symptoms of EIPH, but the diuretic does not cure the malady and causes significant fluid loss. Casner believes these dehydrating effects tax racehorses, causing the downward trend in seasonal and career starts.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2011/12/06/casner-weighs-the-consequences-of-salix.aspx

Amy (1pony)
Staff

12/6/11

Yeah Casner!!

LindaVA3

12/6/11

Totally agree, they need better conditioning as youngsters to build up their bones and muscles and lung capacity.  And more time outdoors during their racing days would help, I think.  Horses were not meant to spend all their time indoors breathing in hay and dust and whatever.  Sunshine and fresh air is what they need!
In reply toRe: msg 45
whitney23187

2/5/12

posted the complete TVG show on drugs here--they start with Lasix and go from there and this show has gotten of interest and they have already said they will replay it several times........just in case anyone is interested............

In reply toRe: msg 46
SmittyCat3

2/5/12

I highly recommend the video Whitney linked to above - it's long, but worth it if you've got the time. 
Derby132

2/5/12

For some reason that link did not work for me.  Here is the direct link to the video on the Roundtable, happily Paulick posted it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmzEtu2Yktc&feature=player_embedded