Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Race Day medication reform   Horse Racing

Started by LyndaP31; 76229 views.
SmittyCat3

2/5/12

Are steroids currently banned for pumping babies up for auctions? Or just pre-race?
SmittyCat3

2/5/12

Interesting article, thanks. ..One panelist in the TVG video said - maybe the only way to monitor it as well as leveling the playing field is by banning it altogether.

IMO,  excessive prescriptions are making doctors weaker diagnosticians - and making trainers weaker horsemen....and making drug companies rich.

From your article...

In his early years as a trainer, Mel Stute would regularly blow out his horses two or three furlongs the morning of the race....

“It might take the congestion out of their lungs,” he said. Did it prevent bleeding? “You hoped so, but you went by feel.”

Nerud also offered a simpler strategy for treating the ailment: “Keep them fat and happy, and don’t work them too hard. Give them the chance to heal up, and usually, they would.”

Amy (1pony)
Staff

2/5/12

I believe that steriods are also not allowed for auctions, however I think it is up to the buyer to test, and it would be a buyer beware issue. However I could be wrong.

SmittyCat3

2/5/12

Thanks - I asked because they talked about it on the video - too lazy to go back and find where! Really sad though.
Amy (1pony)
Staff

2/5/12

That is my memory from things I have read, I have not listened to video yet. So if it is different I will let you know.

I agree it is sad, but they are making strives to fix it and it cannot be done overnight. IMHO

In reply toRe: msg 55
Amy (1pony)
Staff

3/30/12

Jockey club new recomendations, NO Lasix!! YEAH!!

http://www.drf.com/news/jockey-club-calls-stronger-medication-penalties-ban-furosemide

Jockey Club calls for stronger medication penalties, ban on furosemide

The Jockey Club on Friday morning released an updated version of rules it is seeking to have adopted by state racing commissions. The changes include stronger penalties for trainers whose horses repeatedly positive for medications violations, the Jockey Club said, and reiterates the Jockey Club’s opposition to the raceday use of furosemide.

Amy (1pony)
Staff

3/31/12

Barry Irwin speaks out in favor of no drugs in 2 year old graded races

medication ban all about perception

Barry Irwin, the founder and CEO of Team Valor International, has been an outspoken advocate for elimination of race-day medication in North America. In the following commentary, Irwin explains why it is important for the Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association not to abandon its proposal to have all American Graded Stakes for 2-year-olds run without race-day medication.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/irwin-race-day-medication-ban-all-about-perception/

Greg J. (Wookster8)

3/31/12

Saw this yesterday, BRAVO!!!
Amy (1pony)
Staff

3/31/12

Did you read the Jockey club recomendations I posted yesterday in this thread! They are pushing for no drugs period!! YEAH!

In reply toRe: msg 59
Amy (1pony)
Staff

4/11/12

TOBA is pushing forward with the Lasix ban and also for federal regulations regarding no same day drug usage.

TOBA Board Reaffirms Commitment to Drug Ban

Updated: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:58 PM
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:58 PM

Efforts to eliminate race-day medication and a federal bill that aims to create a national standard for medication use in Thoroughbred racehorses were the key topics discussed by the Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association board of trustees during an April 10 meeting in Lexington.

Read more: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/68853/toba-board-reaffirms-commitment-to-drug-ban#ixzz1rmI23pLa