MaryLOhio

The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Pachyderms, Anyone?   General: Non-horse

Started 10/22/11 by LyndaP31; 1227583 views.
JungleHeart

Sep-22

Oh YES!  We know Kyan appreciates a NICE POOL :)  Very happy for him.  We've watched him from birth to now - wow - about 6 years, right?

The music was great.  Kind of brought tears to my eyes to see this --- but it's all good for Kyan.

Saratustra

Sep-22

Yes, it`s all good and after all just temporary - next stop is his own herd, hard working for babys  : )

JungleHeart

Sep-22

When will he go to his own herd?  I hope you can follow him so we can see his BABIES!

Saratustra

Sep-22

Not sure, in 3 years maybe - right now he`s not adult, more just becoming a teenager : )

What I saw from all bachelor-groups, they`re busy all time together, having fun, time will goes by fast. 

JungleHeart

Sep-22

This is really so good for Kyan --- having other young bulls to play and wrestle with and having a WONDERFUL pool.

:)  

JungleHeart

Sep-25

I just read the article about Ben long and now I'm worried and sad.  (article below)  I thought things were going great.  They are not.  :(

JungleHeart

Sep-25

The health condition of our eight-Month-old elephant bull Ben long has been worrying about us since the beginning of the week: the youth does not drink enough, acts matt and has worrying blood values that lead to a problem in liver function. Over the past few months, the young bull, who was taken care of by the aunts Don Chung and rani, and supplied with replacement milk, had been developed in the past few months. Due to the particular challenge of diet without breast milk, the clinical values of Ben long have been monitored so that the changes could be observed. With the first symptom, the veterinary department of the zoo added additional support from the university children's clinic and the central hospital of leipzig in order to ensure the optimal supply of young elephant and reduce risks in development. On the basis of the experience of children's medicine, laboratory values and the few experience values in this field, the replacement milk has been adapted and components were added. " together we have gained valuable knowledge that had led to stabilisation in the meantime. In the past few days, however, the general situation and the values have increased again, so that the therapy has been revised ", explains zoo doctor Dr. Andreas Bernhard.
After Ben long had gradually met his aunts rani and trinh, and the group had established himself in the small herd, since August 17, the 17-Year-old elephant bull. " Don Chung has done all the work as a replacement mother, and the herd has learned a great deal with regard to the coming birth at rani next year. Now we have to hope that the remaining medical measures will strike and improve the critical state of Ben long ", appreciates zoo director Prof. Jörg Junhold, who stresses the high commitment of all doctors and involved zoo staff: " here has been highly committed for months and trying to master the difficult raising of Ben long."

JungleHeart

Sep-25

So he is NOT okay.  His state is "critical."  I am going to cry.  I am crying.  If Ben doesn't make it, I will fall into a deep depression.

He tried so hard - I pray they can heal him.  This is not good news.

Saratustra

Sep-25

Yes, bad news, very bad  : (

But from what I read he`s stable and they hope he will be better with medicine. Sounds like he feels ill, because of his liver, they worked on that problem (maybe hepatitic?). If it`s hepatitic I think there`s a good chance, not sure how they can cure this by elephants?

He had such a hard start into life, first no mommy and then the surgery, now another problem  : (

Let`s pray for him

Saratustra

Sep-25

There are experts from the University-Clinic too, after blood-checks and new medicine/food it looks stable.