MaryLOhio

The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

In Memoriam   Horse Racing

Started 1/10/12 by Derby132; 394277 views.
gerchgo

Mar-11

Oh no! RIP War Emblem my condolences to Old Friends and connections

63-1775michael@oldfriendsequine.org

2002 Kentucky Derby-Preakness Champ 
War Emblem Dies at 21
War Emblem at Old Friends (Photo: Laura Battles)
GEORGETOWN, KY - MARCH 11, 2020  - 2002 Kentucky Derby and Preakness champion War Emblem has died. The dual classic winner, who had been pensioned at Old Friends Thoroughbred Retirement Center in Georgetown, KY., since 2015, was found deceased early this morning. 
The cause of death is perceived to be a fatal paddock accident, but exact details are unknown. However, a full necropsy report is pending. He was 21.
  • Edited April 9, 2020 6:49 pm  by  gerchgo
lindawilbe

Mar-11

Shocked to hear the sad news.

RIP War Emblem.

Linda J.

Northeast Philly

cigarello

Mar-11

When i saw the news I literally screamed out "no"-- I am so sad and shocked. He was such a beautiful horse with a real feisty personality. I hate that it is thought he had a paddock accident. This year so far has been really sad with respect to horse departures and other horse news. RIP beautiful one.

Amy (1pony)
Staff

Mar-11

Such sad news RIP War Emblem thanks for the memories 

gerchgo

Mar-22

RIP sweet girl, my condolences to her connections

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
Derby132

Mar-22

Aw man, so sad!  So close to her retirement from broodmare! 

Flurry84

Mar-22

This is very depressing to read.  It was very good of Michelle Crawford to purchase her with the plan of retiring her.  As Derby says, so close.  I don't care how many experts are of the opinion that breeding mares past 20 or at the latest 21, is fine, I disagree.  And maybe 20 is too old, just trying for that one more from an exceptional producer.  May Tizso rest in peace.  Wonder how the little foal is doing.

cigarello

Mar-22

one foal too many

gerchgo

Mar-22

There was another part to the link that said the colt went to vet and I guess get him a nurse mare? I believe this is what Rachel Alexandra had after foaling Valentina, but through prayer and determination, Barbara was able to save her.

Did her new owner buy her in foal, or did she breed her?