MaryLOhio

The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

+ Horse Racing - The Positive +    Horse Racing

Started 6/4/12 by Derby132; 103947 views.
sandins

Oct-22

No place to comment on the above drawing , but have wondered about the early phase of development, but thought that exercise strenghtens bone?

And sorry , but find no way to minimize this above

• Edited October 22, 2021 12:49 pm  by  sandins
gerchgo

Oct-22

Is that just a normal growth pattern without specific exercise , just playing and grazing? Extensive play with others, ie; running/chasing in paddock , and regular trotting and cantering sets would/should increase bone strength.

But I’m not experienced with that so maybe Amy can answer?

sandins

Oct-22

I'm not, either, but think it would be more training, but that is quite young.........also........a genetic line of great horses has that factor for yrs........., weak lower legs, so don't ask what part of, but like where Barbaro broke his. But cannot remember who?

cigarello

Oct-23

Bill Nack wrote that article- he died a few years ago and I miss him- he was a great writer, honest and insightful.

sandins

Oct-23

Didn't he write a book about Secretariat? My friend in Pittsburgh knows him........a great and insightful writer

cigarello

Oct-24

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/big-red-of-meadow-stable_william-nack/292245/item/2243825/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwiNSLBhCPARIsAKNS4_dwYBsQ_B6JQRC6GEzN3

Yes- see link: I read his book years ago: He was a great writer--- and he absolutely loved Secretariat- it is certainly a great read!!!

sandins

Oct-24

thank you.........she was surprised that i, as a horse fan, did not know about him!

Sandy

Amy (1pony)
Staff

Nov-6

I sure hope this is good news! Time will tell.