MaryLOhio

The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Eventing/show jumping/dressage news   General: Horse-related

Started 8/31/12 by gerchgo; 207118 views.
In reply toRe: msg 31
gerchgo

10/3/12

This is awesome! The Spanish Riding School has opened it's doors to rainers around the worl, to learn the age-old Classic dressage!

The Spanish Riding School in Vienna is making history by opening its barn doors to trainers, riders and grooms to learn from the world famous institute. Beginning in the spring of 2013, this will be the first time in the 400 year history that the School and the stallions will be giving a range of symposiums and training sessions available to the equestrian public.

“The idea was to open the school for foreign riders, horses and grooms to share our century old knowledge,” Andreas Hausberger, the Chief Rider, said, “Beside that we’ll have theory seminars of one, three or five days, professional dressage trainer seminars of one, three or five days, seminars for dressage judges and seminars with international experts in fields like classical dressage, dressage in general, veterinary, hoof care, breeding.”

www.eventingnation.com

JLNJ

10/3/12

Fabulous...what a wonderful opportunity.

Jessie

gerchgo

10/5/12

The FEI has made some minor changes to the helmet rule for each discipline, with the most significant change involving the usage of helmets during non-warmup periods on the show grounds. Vaulters and reiners will not be required to use safety helmets, but Dressage and Show Jumpers will now have mandatory helmet rules during all riding except for competition. The rules for helmets and Eventers will mostly stay the same, and top hats will still be optional for both Eventing dressage and pure Dressage. Let's have a look at the rule changes.

The new FEI Rule is as follows:

From 1 January 2013 at FEI Events, all riders will be required to wear Protective Headgear while mounted on a horse on the show grounds,

EXCEPT:

1.  The discipline rules will apply in the competition arena/field of play. So, for example, while Eventing riders are always required to wear a helmet during the Cross Country, Dressage riders can still wear a top hat while competing and vaulters do not have to wear a helmet while they are in the arena actually vaulting the horse. This also means that the exception in the Jumping Rules for ceremonial protocol still applies to the Jumping riders, but this will be discussed further during the rules revision for the discipline next year.

2.  The exception above extends to riding from the stables to the warm-up area or competition arena just prior to competing. This is primarily for the Dressage riders and Reiners so they do not have to stop to change their headgear after warming up just prior to entering the arena. However, if they are riding to a training area when they are not about to compete or on a non-competition day, a helmet will be required

www.eventingnation.com

IndyKat (ksteinbe)

10/5/12

This is awesome! I heard that the school was having financial problems, this seems like a great way for them to make money at the same time that others can benefit from their wisdom.

Kathy in Indy

twigs6652

10/5/12

Great first steps.  I loved the "Clear as mud" statement.  I'm sure there will be a lot of comments at competitions from people wondering if this is when they should be wearing their helmet or not.  I myself know plenty of riders who will be wondering "duh is this when I wear my helmet?" Can be pretty funny at times.

Now to get the reiners to do so...  

gerchgo

10/5/12

You know, I had read quite awhile ago that hatmakers were making "cowboy hats" with a hard hat insert, but has not come on the market yet...I think the difficulty is getting all the safety elements in there without it being too cumbersome or heavy. I had also read in one of the UK magazines, that a couple of riders were working with manufacturers on top hats and bowlers, have seen nothing yet on that either.
twigs6652

10/5/12

They would probably have to ditch their cowboy hats.  I was thinking about all the western type helmets that are being made now.  Some are quite attractive.

I happened to check out of riders4helmets facebook page tonight.  There was a sad story about a woman on a trail ride who somehow fell off her horse and suffered a fatal head injury.  She was not wearing a helmet.  She left behind a family of 5. 

gerchgo

10/5/12

How very sad for the whole family. :(

gerchgo

11/14/12

I'm very sad to report that our Paralympic athlete, Jonathan Wentz, passed away suddenly on September 30. He was our highest finisher and scorer this year, cause of death had not been determined. RIP Jonathan, now riding all the great horse across the Rainbow Bridge, most likely Blu Hors Matinee.......

http://www.smudailycampus.com/news/smu-paralympian-wentz-passes-away-at-21-1.2920347

twigs6652

11/17/12

So sad.  Just about to enter the prime of life and possibly could have done great things for his sport.  I wish we would hear more about the paralympic riders.  They could add such a heartwarming and knowledgeable aspect to dressage and possibly get more people interested. 

Lauren