MaryLOhio

The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Lentenor to Stand At IN Stallion Station   Barbaro and Family

Started 11/29/12 by Greg J. (Wookster8); 67574 views.
gerchgo

3/3/17

He did good, however for some reason my DVR didn't record today-blast it!

Cousin Tino finished 2nd beaten by 1/2 lengths, on March 3, 2017, at GULFSTREAM PARK in Race 7. 
Off odds: 12.50

Your comments for this horse were:  Lentenor

Flurry84

3/3/17

Hi, Gerch,

I thought he looked very competitive today.  TVG guys commented that he used to show some early speed and more recently had not.  Hope he hits his stride from here on and becomes much better.

Flurry84

3/3/17

Meant to ask your opinion on something.  How many lengths difference do you think it would make if Cousin Tino had the services of JV, Castellano or Rosario?  Or another of the top echelon jocks?

gerchgo

3/3/17

I really don't have enough experience watching racing to discern that with claiming horses, especially when other top riders are available. Certainly those you mentioned are experienced in being able to get a horse to do, or put them in a good trip, but they also know how to get the best out of horses they regularly ride. If the horse cannot spurt through a hole, run up the rail, gut it out between horses, it really doesn't matter who rides them. That said, a good/top jock maybe able to help a horse by building confidence with a good ride.

Flurry84

3/3/17

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the jocks and their skills.

gerchgo

3/3/17

Your welcome. I think it's different with Stakes placed/winners where a jock can give a horse a bad, or not so good ride which could affect the outcome of a race. I do believe that the old timers riding the east coast circuit can produce a more positive outcome with horses in allowance/claiming due to their experience with horses of all types, although I believe it's mostly due to them being regular riders of these horses which to me would be the bigger impact.

LindaVA3

3/3/17

He ran well, and hung in, kept after the eventual winner but just couldn't catch him.  

gerchgo

3/19/17

A longer race this time may help break that maiden? Also moved up from 20k claiming maybe to keep him from not getting claimed?

Cousin Tino is entered to run on March 24, 2017, at GULFSTREAM PARK.

Full Entries for Race Overnight 

Race: 3 - 1:33 PM         

MAIDEN CLAIMING  $25,000

Purse: $ 23,000. (Includes $3,000 - FHBPA-FOA - FHBPA Florida Owners Awards) . For Maidens, Three Years Old. Weight, 120 Lbs. Claiming Price $25,000. (if Deemed Inadvisable To Run This Race Over The Turf Course, It Will Be Run On The Main Track At One Mile And One Eighth) (rail At 108 Feet). One And One Eighth Miles. (Turf)

PP Horse A/S Med Claim $ Jockey Wgt Trainer
7 Cousin Tino 3/G $ 25,000 Miguel Angel Vasquez 120 Larry Pilotti

• Edited March 19, 2017 6:49 pm  by  gerchgo
LindaVA3

3/19/17

Agree, I think long on turf might do the trick!

gerchgo

3/24/17

Nope, that wasn't the answer, didn't up in the race today. I think maybe 3 weeks since the last race was too soon?

Cousin Tino finished 7th beaten by 20 1/2 lengths, on March 24, 2017, at GULFSTREAM PARK in Race 3. 
Off odds: 11.20