MaryLOhio

The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

California Chrome- Retired and Updates   Retired TBs -Past and Present

Started 7/11/14 by MaryLOhio; 467805 views.
MaryLOhio
Host

7/11/14

Since there is no real thread for  CC and other threads are going off track with updates when they are either Fundraiser or a Visit to see him.  So let's use this now for CC updates, and racing information on him.   

The latest "controversy"   http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/50000-appearance-fee-a-dealbreaker-for-chrome-appearance-at-del-mar/

Derby132

7/11/14

I had a good chuckle reading this.  Especially Chrome unfurling the flag, lol.  Art Sherman does mention the lethargy in the paddock before the Belmont.

Hovdey: California Chrome up for some down time

http://www.drf.com/news/hovdey-california-chrome-some-down-time

gerchgo

7/11/14

I got a chuckle out of that comment as well, but also the fact that he knew what they were talking about or thinking. He is one smart horse! I'm glad he knows what a vacation is and what to do while on it!! Yes, time to get back to work before he decides to make his stay permanent!!
Go Team Chrome!!!
Derby132

7/11/14

He is very smart and notices so much.  We saw that whenever he went out mornings to the track.  It does seem like it's time for him to get back with Art Sherman.  And that's also a good place for him to be.

KathyF49

7/11/14

And it's just like Art says, the Kentucky Derby winner in the middle of nowhere. So cool!
Bobcinpa

7/13/14

Perry Martin's version of the negotiations for CC's appearance at Del Mar are different than reported by the various sources... The $50K fee he asked for seems quite reasonable when he breaks it down... Martin isn't a greedy, money-grubbing villain after all.

John Henry, 1975-2007

• Edited July 13, 2014 3:17 pm  by  Bobcinpa
In reply toRe: msg 6
JungleHeart

7/13/14

The release of the "untold story" gave me a whole new perspective on this "issue" - and into Perry Martin.  He does have a bit of a sense of humor!  And he's a sharp businessman, which any partnership needs.  He also gave thought to just payment to Willie and Raul and others who would have been going along.  The media as usual trumped all this up - and I fell for the hype too.  They jumped at the money angle, making DAP seem greedy, but Mr. Martin has broken it all down very well, even for me, a non-math person.  Now - I can appreciate Mr. Martin! 

And this too shall pass - while Chrome finishes up a great vacation and gets back to work.

KathyF49

7/13/14

Well now we know and that sounds very reasonable to me. Those guys aren't so "dumb" after all. I think Perry has a Ph.D in physics and wife is a chemist....I think we need to cut them some slack. They have been very good to their horse, and good and loyal to their team. Did you guys know that Willie is the brother on Chrome's first jockey? Willie helped Chrome a ton.
OakHillsDog

7/13/14

~** Big sighhhhhh**~

Taken again!  Don't we know better than that!!  Do we believe everything we read any other time??  It was so incomprehensible that people who allowed such great access in the run, all the way up to the Belmont, would all of a sudden seem to appear to turn "on their dime" and become somebody/someone else.  Thank goodness I/we can get over overreactions and learn from the lesson.  I have looked later for more media explanation of what I thought had been a big deal, and funny enough there hasn't been so much as a peep since that first two days of "news".  Egg on face, maybe, by those who should have been in the know, but now for a different reason.  True colors?  Or do they just like to sell?  Sounds like lots of people owe DAP an apology.   

Bob Baffert gets $40,000 for autographs???   Whew.

Glad to see Mr. Martin does indeed have a sense of humor and perhaps a seriously caustic wit!

Back to Chrome.  Thank god.