MaryLOhio

The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Nicanor says Hello from Shamrock Farm!   Barbaro and Family

Started 1/11/16 by LindaVA3; 99475 views.
gerchgo

Dec-3

Some pretty good, we go back n forth between the 2 boys threads. He has a couple winners.

Flurry84

Dec-3

I was thrilled with Catonsville's 1st at ChasTown on Nov. 29  (altho a 5,000 claimer).   he led thru out and looked great winning.

Then there was Carol's 2nd at Mtn-eer on Nov. 24 but followed up on Dec. 1 with a 6th  (last).

Could I ask you something completely off the topic here?  I have observed that in many of Mike Smith's races the past few months, his horses break poorly and he manages to keep them at or near the back the whole way around.  There are exceptions, but still.  Are the horses not as good or is he trying to protect them since they don't have a chance after poor starts?  I could be wrong, but this is my observation.  Would love to know your take on this, or the opinions of others who are experts  (like Amy, Derby, etc.)  Thanks!

gerchgo

Dec-3

Sometimes he keeps them at the back to regroup if they break bad, some he checks to make sure they’re okay, many are closers and would be at the back anyway. If he feels the horse isn’t right, he’ll stay back, or as you said, if it’s a big race and good competition, he may just let the horse relax if he thinks he won’t have a chance of finishing in the $$. Of course if the horse just doesn’t want to run he lets him mosey at the back.

Flurry84

Dec-3

Thank you for clarifying his methods on some of these horses.  I have noticed that he is riding for some less-known trainers lately, not just the big guys.

Flurry84

Dec-8

Seany P won Race #3 at Laurel earlier today.  He looked really professional in his win, too.  TVG said it was off the claim, so I will have to look it up later today.

gerchgo

Dec-8

I think he was claimed last time out but not today. Just leaving work so will watch when I get home.

did you see Catonsville’s big win last night? Time to move up so he doesn’t get claimed!

gerchgo

Dec-8

That was a nice race! If they weren’t so wide he may have won by more? The Sarge on TVG2 said before the race that Seany P could be the upset winner-he was right!

Flurry84

Dec-8

Yes, I did see it! He looked great in this win, leading throughout.  Here's hoping he will find a race besides claiming next time.

gerchgo

Dec-8

He started out in a $10k maiden claiming, won after dropping down to $5k, so I would think he would move up to maybe $7,500 next time, don’t think they have allowances for lower level runners, unless they find an allowance/waiver claiming race?