MaryLOhio

The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussion

Gulfstream   Horse Racing

Started 1/29/16 by Derby132; 10299 views.
cigarello

Feb-4

I just read about that horrific accident---sounds like more could have been done by the outriders--i feel horribly for anybody who witnessed

This horror

Amy (1pony)
Staff

Feb-4

Unfortunately if the race is still going the outriders cannot move in on a loose horse. They must wait till the race is over to catch any loose horses for  the safety of the runners. If he broke through the rail onto the dirt track no outrider would be there either as both would be on the turf track at that time. 

It is a shame, RIP boy.

Derby132

Feb-4

That's what I tried to say, no outriders would have been on the track he broke into.

Amy (1pony)
Staff

Feb-4

Sorry, I thought that was what you meant but not sure

gerchgo

Feb-4

Woohoo! Irish War Cry!!!! What happened to Classic Empire?

Amy (1pony)
Staff

Feb-4

I just posted about this on the Derby trail thread, he left his race at the gate when he had his  fit!!

Lina_TX

Feb-4

gerchgo said...

The chart said it was on the backstretch so I can't believe not one of them could get to him! Poor horse, if he was able to get up and keep running, the original injury seems that it would be something they could save him. How horrible.:(

Thankfully I didn't see it, but from what witnesses reported he couldn't have been saved.  The leg apparently snapped.

gerchgo

Feb-18

Delta Prince wins on the turf today!

Derby132

Feb-18

That is so cool.  On the day of a race named for Royal Delta.

gerchgo

Feb-18

Yes, meant to be in respect for his sis.:)