MaryLOhio

The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Medina Spirit Derby positive    Horse Racing

Started 5/10/21 by Amy (1pony); 52626 views.
cigarello

Aug-22

I agree with you

cigarello

Aug-22

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/262498/khrc-bafferts-legal-team-present-arguments-at-appeal

This article describes the sum and substance of the appeal- I just don't see him winning this but I don't blame him for trying. I come away from reading this feeling so sad about Medina Spirit- such a special horse---

sandins

Aug-24

I so agree with you about the horse.........Medina Spirit Won the race, no matter who says what

And then he dies, without the recognition of being a Derby Winner..........sweat_drops

• Edited August 24, 2022 12:14 am  by  sandins
Amy (1pony)
Staff

Aug-24

The biggest take away I have from this article (something I have thought since day 1) he didn’t have Betamethasone in his pre race test but it shows up in the post race test. The ointment was applied every day for months prior to the race.

Bob’s attorney kept hammering a witness about this.

cigarello

Aug-24

Why wouldn't it show up in pre race testing if it showed up in post race testing, I don't get it.

Amy (1pony)
Staff

Aug-25

From what I am reading, because they do not test for it in pre race testing. 

From the article

Earlier in the testimony, Brewster read a long portion of Kentucky's out-of-competition rules that note that betamethasone is allowed in a horse's system. That resulted in the aforementioned exchange of Borden repeatedly noting that those are the standards for out-of-competition testing, which focus on finding substances that are not ever allowed in the horse. Betamethasone is a recognized therapeutic and would be allowed in an out-of-competition test, as those are not conducted on race day.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/262524/medina-spirit-dq-appeal-takes-deep-dive-into-khrc-rules

Amy (1pony)
Staff

Aug-25

It’s not done yet. There are plenty of holes in her testimony 

Amy (1pony)
Staff

Aug-26

This is long but I think Baffert’s attorney made good points here.