POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

PLEASE HELP MAKE RACING SAFER FOR HORSES   Horse Racing

Started by Guest; 774 views.
Msg 1603 of 2138 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 1602

9/16/07

hey everyone! thanks as always for your tireless and difficult work!

the August Report is finished.. It is posted on the wiki adni am attaching a pdf as well ..

FOR INESPERADO TRACK WATCH AUGUST 2007 TOTALS

FOR INESPERADO Track Watch August 2007

TOTAL INCIDENTS  414*

TOTAL HORSES     437*

CONFIRMED EUTHANIZED   14**

ESTIMATED INJURY/DNF RATE: 14.5 per 1000

* (Thoroughbred horses; races only – does not include training or workouts.  Racing incidents include flipped/injured in the gate, eased/DNF, pulled up/DNF, vanned off, returned bleeding, DNF, broke down. Some incidents involved multiple horses )

SOURCES: Equibase, Daily Racing Form, Pedigree Query

• Edited 9/17/2007 8:50 am ET by sth99

9/16/07

more on the report later.. but for now here are a couple of questions..

1. both rhla and i feel that hard copies are more effective than e--mail.. that of course is a project.. how would you feel if i sent out two months-August and September = together again?? that way it is more manageable for me and i suppose continues to illustrate trends..what do you all think??
  2. i am attaching a list of media contacts. we can talk more abot if/how we should appproach this.. any thoughts are appreciated here..
  3. i do wish we could find a few more people to help us watch tracks..i think rhla's project on the old runners is very valuable and is a great supplementary report to what we are doing.. the numbers and the stories.. let me know if you have any ideas

thanks again!! more later

nancy 

Attachments
Msg 1605 of 2138 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 1601

9/17/07

Thanks, iwnsum2.
Msg 1606 of 2138 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 1604

9/17/07

Hey sth99:

1.  I think sending out hard copies is the best idea.  Both months would be worthwhile.

2. Media Contacts.  I would suggest adding:  Andrew Beyer, Sports Columnist (covers horse racing) for the Washington Post, 1150 15th Street NW., Washington,  DC. 20071.

3. It would be great to have more volunteers. 

To give RHLA some help, I will take over Mountaineer Park, Churchill Downs, Keeneland, Kentucky Downs and Turfway Park.  RHLA, let me know if you would like me to do this, and when to start.

Msg 1607 of 2138 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 1606

9/17/07

thanks a million racinggal- you are the best!
Msg 1608 of 2138 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 1606

9/17/07

OH MY GOD RACINGGAL, YOU ARE THE BEST!!!  You have no idea how much this will help me.  Can you start with the 15th??  I am now going to try to focus on my other tracks and the old guys, and a hearty HOOF HOOF HOORAY FROM THEM TO RACINGGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9/17/07

Hi Group

This is an interesting thing you have going on here.  I'm curious to know the history of the people here.  Are you race horse owners, rescue horse owners, horse racing fans???

What are your thoughts on the breeding end of the industry?  Do you have strong opinions on reducing the amount of foals horses each year?  I got my box of Keenland 2 year olds for sale, and theres a good, what 8 catalogs!  Out of all these babies, how many will become a Barbaro, Rags To Riches type horse?  We all know what happens to the rest, claiming races.. then the slaughter house.

gotta get back to reading the posts in this thread.... and there are a LOT!

Msg 1610 of 2138 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 1608

9/17/07

Wow, RHLA.  Thanks for the great response.  I will start with the 15th.

Msg 1611 of 2138 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 1610

9/17/07

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU  A N D--- THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

9/17/07

Hatch recently turned in a less than stellar workout for a record-holder;

Hatch (GB) 
Your Comment: 

Date:              August 24, 2007
Track:             ARLINGTON PARK
Distance:          Four Furlongs
Time:              52:80 Breezing
Track Condition:   Fast
Surface:           All Weather Track

How did he end up running?  Its too old to pull up the full details, just sumary, so i see he didnt come in the top 3, was he 4th or 5th?  Breezing a slow 4f is pretty normal in prep for a race.