MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

CRASH update   Horse Rescue Issues

Started 6/1/07 by Guest; 12 views.

6/1/07

Hello Everyone,

Here's an update on the CRASH horse who is alive and well today because your generous donations enabled the Finger Lakes Thoroughbred Adoption Program (FLTAP) to send him to Cornell for an arthroscopic surgical repair of a lateral condylar fracture involving left hind limb. This injury occurred during a morning workout, one week before CRASH was to enter his first race here at Finger Lakes. He is now five weeks and three days post-op and doing very well. He has another two months of stall rest before he can start being handwalked. He can hardly wait to get out there and stretch his legs and join the other horses; but for now he has the company of the cats and dogs and a buddy across the aisle half of the day. He's enjoying lots of handpicked grass, carrots and peppermints plus all the hay he can eat along with some grain to help maintain his condition. His only medication is daily Cosequin and periodic intra-articular injections of hyaluronic acid. Digital radiographs will be taken at three months, before handwalking begins, in order to evaluate the progress of fracture healing. I will try to attach those films. Knock on wood, except for the occasional outburst of energy with some bucking, kicking, spinning, squealing and rearing up in the air, he's behaving himself! I can tell that I'm going to have my hands full when it comes time to handwalk.

I have deleted earlier attachments in order to open up more space so I could attach some pictures... but it still won't let me and continues to say that there's not enough space. Can anyone give me some hints on how to enable this process so I can attach some pictures taken May 30?

Sincerely,

Dr. Margaret Ohlinger
Executive Director, FLTAP
P.O. Box 25043
Farmington, NY 14425
585-303-1897
www.fingerlakestap.org

Msg 2 of 29 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 1
mary18175

6/1/07

The update on Crash sounds promising! I am glad that he is doing much better now, sounds like he has lots of spirit! I hope someone can help you post his pictures soon.
Msg 3 of 29 to GuestGuest 
midknight1

6/1/07

Thank you so much Margaret.  It's so good to hear about the success stories!

Jen

Msg 4 of 29 to GuestGuest 
MJ42903

6/1/07

I have been thinking about Crash all week.  Thank you so very much for this update.  I am so happy to hear he is doing well.

6/1/07

I hope someone can help me with these darn pictures too! I actually tried posting this last night and I was able to attach six photos but then something went terribly wrong and I lost my message and the pictures but somehow those pictures still counted toward my personal alloted space. Don't understand how or why that happened!

Margaret

Dr. Margaret Ohlinger
Executive Director, FLTAP

6/1/07

Hi Jen,

Yeah, I like the success stories too, especially when the situation is critical. It sure helps keep the wind in your sails!

Margaret

6/1/07

Quite a coincidence... I've been thinking about getting current pictures and an update posted for about a week! I've actually got the initial digital films on a disc at the track. Maybe I can attach that file? I'll give it a try tomorrow night.

Margaret

Msg 8 of 29 to GuestGuest 

6/1/07

Handwalking after being confined, how fun! I always keep some 'settle down juice' handy. I'm too old to be flung around like a rag doll...

Good luck!

Joyce Moore

Msg 9 of 29 to GuestGuest 

6/1/07

Send the pictures to MaryLOhio. She is good at posting pictures.

So glad to hear CRASH is doing well.

Robin

Msg 10 of 29 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 8

6/1/07

You're right Joyce...not much fun and possibly dangerous, for horse and handler! Fortunately, I'm a veterinarian so I have a complete line of 'settle-him-down' pharmaceuticals at my disposal. Actually, I'm hoping that our barn is built by then and we can walk him in the confines of a small round pen inside the small indoor arena, sedated of course, and then gradually enlarge that to where he'll eventually be turned out alone, again sedated to start. I've already had one rotator cuff repair... I don't want to go through that again!... not even a little bit!

Margaret