Habitat For Horses taking in abused mare   Horse Rescue Issues

Started by Guest; 2763 views.
Msg 497 of 879 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 479
JerryFinch

7/14/07

As promised - an update on Naysa!

------------------

Hello everyone, I want to take a few minutes to Thank all of you for your support. Naysa and I truly appreciate you.

It has been a pretty busy week here. I'm sorry it has taken so long to get back with you all. Naysa's face is trying to totally close, however she still has infection in there evidenced by the acute formation of a small soft bubble full of pus above and to the left of the original gaping but now almost completely healed wound. She has a small bit of scabbing on her nose but no other visible wounds to her face. I can't even see the once horrid reminders of the barb wire wrapped rope that encircled her head at the poll and around her nose. She has healed well outside. She remains on the antibiotics and I am trying to keep the new drainage area cleaned out. She will rub her wound on the gauze in my hand when I am cleaning so hard and vigorously that I hardly move myself. It is sort of a self cleaning scratching post. A little abx ointment to the left eye and yes the cloudiness is starting to really clear, and a dab of swat to the actual face wound and she is ready to go outdoors.

Monday she was in one pasture and the herd was in the other on the other side of the road. She followed them up and down as if grazing with them but a little farther away. I had tried her in one pasture with my Mare Windy hoping they would bond but Windy really wasn't as interested in Naysa as she was in the attention she was receiving from me. Shame on me! Monday eve the natural hoof farrier came to see her. Lauri Barr in one truck and Eddie in another both haulin butt down our road spreading dust and sand everywhere. (Love ya Lauri). Eddie worked with Naysa for sometime. She was ok with her front left hoof. She danced around a bit with her right front. She did not budge and in fact we all danced around her stall for sometime trying to get her to give us the rear hooves. I had not messed with them at all as I have been moving very slowly at all body parts past her head. Her front hooves are great. She looks great with her neat trim. We will continue to work on her rear hooves.

She has become more comfortable haltered on a lead with me. I generally can halter her easily and walk right out of the stall or into the barn with her in tow. I generally ask all my horses to walk up beside me but part of our trust building is for her to be willing to follow me without hesitation. I find she is more comfortable doing this when no one else is around us or the other person(s) are not too close.

Wednesday morning I let her out with the herd. It was time. She so wanted to be with them and my herd seems to know the routine of wait til mom is ready and the horses will come. I rinsed her off after her face cleaning and set her free to pass through the gates and join up with the others. She walked right over to Pal, Rio and Iris and started grazing. Windy was off in right field. No problem. I waited. Then came the lead Mare Bonita. She ran off the lower 1/2 of the herd and took over Naysa. Apache came up and they met nose to nose. Apache and Bonita have taken her over. At first Bonita was a little too much in Naysa's space and Naysa finally walked up in front of Bonita and turned her butt to her. This pretty much made me feel Naysa could take care of herself so I left them alone.

The first eve at turn in I rinsed each horse as I sent them to their stalls. Naysa was last to come up and a bit unsure as to coming through the barn with the horses in their stalls and their heads peeking over. I saw the hesitancy and decided to go out and get her. As we stood out there several of the horses were calling to her. My herd is so herd bound that if I had to take one to the vet the whole family would have to come along for the ride. She walked down the aisle with me, into her stall and ate her dinner. Thursday she went out without any problems. I noticed her run around a little here and there. Maybe not as confident as the day prior. Maybe the pecking order had been re-established. As the herd came in, Bonita running for all its worth as if her dinner would disintegrate before she got to it, Apache followed and headed do de do to his stall with Naysa in tow. I managed to open her door before she passed it and she went right in. Friday she went out with the herd again and was corraled up with Apache and Bonita. It appears they have taken her over. Turn in was sort of disorganized. Bonita in a full flurry as usual then Apache to the door but not through it. He was waiting I believe for Naysa. I checked out the window for her and she was at the end of the line, sort of. I encouraged Apache to move on as the rest of the herd was waiting to eat too. Naysa was last. She was hesitant once again as Iris was baring her teeth like a wild dog. I could not blame her. I promised to walk on the Iris side of her thinking she was safe on the Rio side and we headed on in. As we passed Rios stall he reached out and nipped her, she took off and into her stall. I was so mad at him. Creep!  She was ok. I apologized for the behavior of her herd mates and she ate.

Naysa seems to be a bit more full of herself but also more trusting of me. I appreciate her "feeling better" but I also for see a few issues in the future with stubbornness. I am working on getting past her flanks and now trying to touch her rear and back legs. She still does not like her belly touched. She drops a bit of feed while eating but it may be her not staying focused with her head in the bucket. It will be sometime before we can put her neck in position for floating. All in good time.

Deborah Pendleton
Membership Coordinator
Habitat for Horses, Inc.

__.

JerryFinch

7/14/07

And now for the pictures - Naysa has been introduced to the herd at Debbie's home

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/jfinch/inthepasture.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/jfinch/herd.jpg

And in case you don't remember, this is what Naysa looked like when she first arrived:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/jfinch/PICS149.jpg

and after her horrible treatment when she wouldn't get in the trailer -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/jfinch/PICS165.jpg

Naysa owes her life to all those who care so deeply about horses, including the Fans of Barbaro. Somewhere above, a guardian horse is smiling.

Thank you all so very much for all you have done.

Jerry Finch

Habitat for Horses

7/14/07

dear deborah, I love the story of the naysa's day in the pasture and getting to know her buddies.  I never realized that it is sometimes hard for the a new horse to blend in with the other old ones.  Its fascinating, really.

She looks so good, kudos to you for all you have done for this lovely lady.  We are all very grateful that you saved her and have put so much of yourself into her.  Good job!  fondly, marcia

In reply toRe: msg 498

7/14/07

Look at beautiful Naysa now!!

I shudder to think of where this sweet girl would be if it hadn't been for Jerry Finch & Habitat For Horses and Deborah Pendleton. Now she gets to remember what it is to be a horse again, grazing with the herd in tall green grass--the way it should be.

In reply toRe: msg 500

7/14/07

The pictures of Naysa are just wonderful.  She seems to be doing great. EAch day taking little steps to try and overcome her past.  She will learn again the kindness of humans and never have to be afraid of being hurt again.  Thank you Deborah and Jerry for your compassion and selflessness.

kckellsbells

7/14/07

All I can say is "Wow!"  Naysa looks like a totally different horse now.  Although terribly horrific at how she got to HfH, what a blessed girl she is now.  She will remain in my prayers for healing both inside and out.

Thank you for all you do.

Kelly

MaryLOhio

7/14/07

JUST LOVE this picture!!!

jcb88

7/14/07

My Heart is Truly

Singing with Joy!

Jeanne

7/14/07

Jerry,

Thanks so much for posting the update and pictures.   I really enjoy hearing about her progress.   She is so lucky to have been saved and she is really a beautiful horse.

God bless all of you who have helped her.

7/14/07

Thanks for the Photoshop tips website!  I'll be sure to check it out the next time I have a bird photo to edit.  Hopefully what I pick up will save me from jettisoning the computer out the window.

-Jake