Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

10 Letters Pick One and Fax Away!!!   Anti Slaughter Issues

Started by really920; 1456 views.
really920

6/11/07

Thanks John Holland!!! FOB'S Please use any of these letters to help stop horse slaughter!!!! Just add the Reps name to the beginning and your name and contact info to the end and fax away!!!

This is the ONLY way to stop horse slaughter and the transport across our borders for that purpose!!!

I am asking you for your support and co sponsorship of HR 503 the Prevention of Equine Cruelty Act of 2009 .  There is no excuse for allowing this travesty to continue.  The reasons we Americans want this practice stopped are too numerous to address in a single letter, but I will mention a few. 

The most popular justification for horse slaughter is that it eliminates unwanted horses that would otherwise be abused and neglected. This is simply not true.  No statistical study has ever shown that horse slaughter alleviates horse neglect or abuse.  We cannot slaughter our way out of the problem of abuse and neglect.  Ending slaughter will be a big step and incentive toward good horse stewardship. 

Transportation is another serious issue.  Long before a horse reaches the slaughter house it is faced with the cruelty of transport.  The cattle trailers used for slaughter transport are completely unsuitable for horses.  The conditions are made worst by a lack of food or water, and trips often last as long as 28 hours.  The inhumane nature of slaughter transport is in itself reason enough to pass HR 503 and stop the practice. 

The AHSPA enjoys broad support throughout the horse industry as well as the American public.  Support for HR 503 includes hundreds of industry organizations and leaders. You will find the complete list at http://www.horse-protection.org.  Such support from the heart of the horse industry is proof enough that ending slaughter will be good for the horses and good for the horse industry. 

I understand that this is just one of many issues before you, but there should always be time to correct such an unacceptable injustice.  Thank you for you attention to my letter and I look forward to your support for HR 503. 

Kindest Regards,

• Edited 3/21/2009 7:56 pm ET by really920
In reply toRe: msg 1
really920

6/11/07

I am requesting you to cosponsor HR 503, the bill that will end the cruel slaughter of horses for human consumption.  The three foreign owned slaughter houses and their practices are an insult to our culture.  The reasons we Americans want this practice stopped are too numerous to address in a single letter, but I will mention a few. 

We do not eat our horses and consider it unacceptable to allow foreigners to do so.  American culture is interwoven with our relationship to our horses.  America was built by the labor of our horses.  It is impossible to think of American history without thinking of the part horses played.  With your help we will show the world that our values are not for sale to foreign corporations. 

One of the many negative side effects of horse slaughter is horse theft.  Horse theft has dropped by an order of magnitude in California since they banned slaughter with Proposition 6.  It is impossible to ignore these statistics.  History tells us that the passage of HR 503 will result in a huge reduction in horse theft.

HR 503 is not the work of animal rights extremists as the slaughter industry claims. It has broad support in the public and in the horse industry itself. The proposed ban on horse slaughter is supported by hundreds of horse industry organizations including 25 national horse industry organizations, 24 national humane groups, 33 horse industry leaders, and 17 owners of Kentucky Derby winners.  The support of these leaders of the horse industry is assurance that they believe ending horse slaughter is in the industry's best interest. 

I hope that I have helped you understand the urgency of stopping this cruel assault on our horses.  Some may complain that horse slaughter is not the most urgent issue before Congress, but there should always be time to correct such an unacceptable injustice.  I look forward to thanking you for your co sponsorship of this worthy legislation.

• Edited 3/21/2009 7:22 pm ET by really920
In reply toRe: msg 2
really920

6/11/07

I wish to request your co sponsorship for the pending legislation, HR 503 to ban horse slaughter for human consumption.  Polls consistently show that over 70% of Americans are opposed to horse slaughter.  Allow me to mention a few of the reasons that I want you to help us put an end to America's "dirty little secret!" 

The assertion that the horses being slaughtered will be at risk of abuse and neglect if slaughter ends is a complete falsehood.  History shows that abuse and neglect are not related to horse slaughter in any way.  Horses do not cause abuse and neglect, bad owners do.  And slaughter brings the worst elements of humanity into the horse owning community.  History tells us that stopping horse slaughter will in fact help us deal with the problem of abuse and neglect. 

Before being hung for bleed out and butchering, horses are first "stunned" to yield them unconscious.  The stunning itself is done with a captive bolt gun which is difficult to position correctly in the best of circumstances.  Horses are routinely exposed to multiple strikes from the gun and to live butchering.  The slaughter process for horses is thus totally inhumane. 

There is also the issue of transport.  The inhumane treatment of the slaughter horse begins with its transportation.  Horses are crammed into trailers with ceilings often so low that they must ride in an unnatural posture.  Many horses endure these conditions of more than a day without food or water.  The whole process of horse slaughter is inhumane and transport is one of its most glaring examples. 

I hope that I have helped you understand the urgency of stopping this cruel assault on our horses.  I realize that there are many important issues at hand, but the time has come to end this travesty.  I look forward to thanking you for your co sponsorship of this worthy legislation. 

Most Sincerely,

• Edited 3/21/2009 7:23 pm ET by really920
In reply toRe: msg 3
really920

6/11/07

I am asking you for your support and co sponsorship of HR 503 the Prevention of Equine Cruelty Act of 2009 .  There is no excuse for allowing this travesty to continue.  Let me explain just a few of the reasons we want horse slaughter to end. 

Horses are not food animals in American culture.  The American culture is steeped in our dependence on the horse.  Horses have carried us in battle, plowed our fields, and pulled our wagons as we built our nation.  In short, when we allow foreigners to butcher our horses we allow them to assault our very culture.  With your help we will show the world that our values are not for sale to foreign corporations. 

The biggest factor driving horse theft is horse slaughter.  Horse theft has dropped by an order of magnitude in California since they banned slaughter with Proposition 6.  That horse slaughter and horse theft go hand in hand is obvious to everyone.  History tells us that the passage of HR 503 will result in a huge reduction in horse theft.

The claim that ending horse slaughter will cause an outbreak of abuse and neglect is a pure myth and fabrication.  History shows that abuse and neglect are not related to horse slaughter in any way.  The very presence of the slaughter industry encourages over breeding and poor horse stewardship.  Horse slaughter encourages and promotes abuse and does nothing to reduce it. 

I realize that there are many important issues at hand, but the time has come to end this travesty.  I hope that I can depend on you to cosponsor HR 503.  

Most Sincerely,

• Edited 3/21/2009 7:57 pm ET by really920
In reply toRe: msg 4
really920

6/11/07

This letter is to ask you to cosponsor HR 503, the Prevention of Equine Cruelty Act of 2009 .  There is no excuse for allowing this travesty to continue.  There are many reasons why horse slaughter should be ended and I will mention a few. 

We do not eat our horses and consider it unacceptable to allow foreigners to do so.  American culture is interwoven with our relationship to our horses.  No other animal played such a central role in the development of our country.  Furthermore, horses continue to play an important role in American culture and entertainment.  Horse slaughter is a betrayal of our cultural values. 

The cruelty of horse slaughter begins with the transportation of the horses.  Horses are usually hauled crammed into cattle trailers.  The temperament of horses is completely unsuitable for these conditions.  Many horses endure these conditions of more than a day without food or water.  The whole process of horse slaughter is inhumane and transport is one of its most glaring examples. 

HR 503 is not the work of animal rights extremists as the slaughter industry claims. It has broad support in the public and in the horse industry itself. The proposed ban on horse slaughter is supported by over 400 horse industry leaders and organizations. It even has the support of the owners of seventeen Kentucky Derby winners.  These leaders and organizations know and love the horse industry and they know HR 503 is important and needed legislation. 

I understand that this is just one of many issues before you, but the time has come to end this travesty.  I look forward to thanking you for your co sponsorship of this worthy legislation. 

Most Sincerely,

• Edited 3/21/2009 7:58 pm ET by really920
In reply toRe: msg 5
really920

6/11/07

I am writing to ask you to cosponsor HR 503, the Prevention of Equine Cruelty Act of 2009.  Polls consistently show that over 70% of Americans are opposed to horse slaughter.  Allow me to mention a few of the reasons that I want you to help us put an end to America's "dirty little secret!" 

The inhumane treatment of the slaughter horse begins with its transportation.  The unsegregated cattle trailers commonly used for transport are completely unsuitable for horses.  It is common for horses to ride under these horrific conditions, without food or water, for up to 28 hours.  The whole process of horse slaughter is inhumane and transport is one of its most glaring examples. 

According to the American Horse Council, over 1.4 million Americans work directly or indirectly in legitimate horse industries. By contrast, all three slaughter plants employ fewer than 200 people in low paying jobs.  Since slaughter takes horses that are typically in their prime, it does not help the economy.  Every useful horse slaughtered is one less horse creating jobs and wealth in our economy.  HR 503 will protect our horses and the incredible contribution they make to our economy. 

It is to the shame of our system of government that special interests have been able to thwart the clear public will year after year.  The Prevention of Equine Cruelty Act of 2009  has been impeded by the use of every dirty trick in the Congressional book.  The amendment to the Agriculture budget for 2006 should have stopped horse slaughter.  Unfortunately, the slaughter industry was able to get the USDA's Johanns to devise a pay-for-inspection system. 

Some may complain that horse slaughter is not the most urgent issue before Congress, but if we do not pass HR 503 now then when?  I hope that I can depend on you to cosponsor HR 503. 

Sincerely, 

• Edited 3/21/2009 8:00 pm ET by really920
In reply toRe: msg 6
really920

6/11/07

This letter is to ask you to cosponsor HR 503, the Prevention of Equine Cruelty Act of 2009.  There is no excuse for allowing this travesty to continue.  Americans want the horse slaughter industry shut down for many compelling reasons. 

One of the many cruelties of horse slaughter happens in the "stunning" process.  The captive bolt gun used in horse slaughter was designed for the slaughter of cattle and is totally inappropriate for horses.  When it is used at the pace of an assembly line the captive bolt gun yields results that are predictably horrific.  The horror of the slaughter process for horses is often beyond comprehension. 

The transport of horses to slaughter is cruel in itself.  Horses are usually hauled crammed into cattle trailers.  The temperament of horses is completely unsuitable for these conditions.  Horses are forced to face these frightening conditions without food or water for up to 28 hours.  Worse yet, in a recent article the USDA admitted that it cannot enforce even the totally insufficient rules that are in place. 

According to the American Horse Council, over 1.4 million Americans work directly or indirectly in legitimate horse industries. By contrast, all three slaughter plants employ fewer than 200 people in low paying jobs.  Since slaughter takes horses that are typically in their prime, it does not help the economy.  Killing these healthy and useful horses is killing their contribution to the economy as well.  I ask you not to believe the slaughter industry when they try to convince you that they contribute in any useful way to this industry. 

Horse slaughter is an evil that must be eliminated.  I know that there are those who believe other issues should come before this one, but there should always be time to correct such an unacceptable injustice.  I appreciate your giving this important legislation attention and hopefully your support. 

Best Regards, 

• Edited 3/21/2009 8:00 pm ET by really920
In reply toRe: msg 7
really920

6/11/07

I am writing to ask you to cosponsor HR 503, the Prevention of Equine Cruelty Act of 2009.  Polls consistently show that over 70% of Americans are opposed to horse slaughter.  Allow me to mention a few of the reasons that I want you to help us put an end to America's "dirty little secret!" 

The inhumane treatment of the slaughter horse begins with its transportation.  The unsegregated cattle trailers commonly used for transport are completely unsuitable for horses.  It is common for horses to ride under these horrific conditions, without food or water, for up to 28 hours.  The whole process of horse slaughter is inhumane and transport is one of its most glaring examples. 

According to the American Horse Council, over 1.4 million Americans work directly or indirectly in legitimate horse industries. By contrast, all three slaughter plants employ fewer than 200 people in low paying jobs.  Since slaughter takes horses that are typically in their prime, it does not help the economy.  Every useful horse slaughtered is one less horse creating jobs and wealth in our economy.  HR 503 will protect our horses and the incredible contribution they make to our economy. 

It is to the shame of our system of government that special interests have been able to thwart the clear public will year after year.  The Prevention of Equine Cruelty Act of 2009  has been impeded by the use of every dirty trick in the Congressional book.  The amendment to the Agriculture budget for 2006 should have stopped horse slaughter.  Unfortunately, the slaughter industry was able to get the USDA's Johanns to devise a pay-for-inspection system. 

Some may complain that horse slaughter is not the most urgent issue before Congress, but if we do not pass HR 503 now then when?  I hope that I can depend on you to cosponsor HR 503. 

Sincerely, 

• Edited 3/21/2009 8:02 pm ET by really920
In reply toRe: msg 8
really920

6/11/07

This letter is to ask you to cosponsor HR 503, the Prevention of Equine Cruelty Act of 2009.  It is time to end the corrosive influence of this foreign owned business on our horse industry.  There are many negative aspects to the horse slaughter business that I would like you to be aware of. 

The biggest factor driving horse theft is horse slaughter.  Horse theft has dropped dramatically in California in the years following their ban on slaughter.  It is impossible to ignore these statistics.  We can be assured that HR 503 will dramatically reduce the scourge of horse theft. 

The process of slaughter begins with stunning intended to render the horse unconscious.  The captive bolt gun used in horse slaughter was designed for the slaughter of cattle and is totally inappropriate for horses.  The USDA standard for cattle is 10% "live vivisection".  With horses, whose heads cannot be restrained, a far higher percentage is butchered alive.  The horror of the slaughter process for horses is often beyond comprehension. 

Next there is the transportation.  Transportation of slaughter horses is the beginning of a long, cruel process.  Horses are crammed into trailers with ceilings often so low that they must ride in an unnatural posture.  Many horses endure these conditions of more than a day without food or water.  The whole process of horse slaughter is inhumane and transport is one of its most glaring examples. 

I hope that I have helped you understand the urgency of stopping this cruel assault on our horses.  Some may complain that horse slaughter is not the most urgent issue before Congress, yet the supporters of this bill have waited for more than a decade to end this cruel industry.  Thank you for you attention to my letter and I look forward to your support for HR 503. 

Best Regards, 

• Edited 3/21/2009 8:02 pm ET by really920
In reply toRe: msg 9
really920

6/11/07

I am asking you for your support and co sponsorship of HR 503 the Prevention of Equine Cruelty Act of 2009.  Our horses do not deserve to be tormented and butchered by foreigners.  There are many negative aspects to the horse slaughter business that I would like you to be aware of. 

The claim that ending horse slaughter will cause an outbreak of abuse and neglect is a pure myth and fabrication.  The number of cases of abuse and neglect actually dropped when the Cavel plant burned in Illinois in 2002.  We cannot reduce neglect by rewarding it. Slaughter rewards irresponsible owners and encourages over breeding.  Passing HR 503 will be a big step toward the humane treatment of our horses. 

Another terrible aspect involves transport.  The cruelty of horse slaughter begins with the transportation of the horses.  Horses are crammed into trailers with ceilings often so low that they must ride in an unnatural posture.  Many horses endure these conditions of more than a day without food or water.  Worse yet, in a recent article the USDA admitted that it cannot enforce even the totally insufficient rules that are in place. 

The history of the Prevention of Equine Cruelty Act of 2009  is one of special interests thwarting the will of the public.  Congressmen like Bob Goodlatte and Henry Bonilla have managed to block the Prevention of Equine Cruelty Act of 2009  for seven years even when there was overwhelming support in the House for the bill.  The amendment to the Agriculture budget for 2006 should have stopped horse slaughter.  Unfortunately, the slaughter industry was able to get the USDA's Johanns to devise a pay-for-inspection system. 

I realize that there are many important issues at hand, but if we do not pass HR 503 now then when?  Thank you for you attention to my letter and I look forward to your support for HR 503. 

Best Regards,

• Edited 3/21/2009 8:03 pm ET by really920