The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

Update on Micah at Gentle Giants   Horse Rescue Issues

Started by Christine (GGDraftResQ); 87 views.

Hi all!

Micah is doing beyond well and is out of his quarantine.  He has gained about 200 pounds and is fat and sassy.  He still has no idea he has Canker.  We have hit a small bump in the road with his treatment.    He is scheduled to go to Valley Equine in WV at Charlestown Racetrack on June 28 for surgery, but the Vet wants to use a very controversial and aggressive treatment that comes with some very risky side effects, including death.   We are holding the appoinment, but are currently searching around to find another Vet with Canker experience to treat him.  We all feel a slower and steady progress would be more beneficial for him than something radical.  We are looking into 3 other options- so don't worry FOB's- he's being treated and it's happening soon!  I just want to make sure it's done in his best interest.  I'll continue to post updates!

Christine

Gentle Giants Draft Horse Rescue 

6/19/07

Yikes....slow, conservative, NOT Life Threatening sounds really good to me. I don't doubt for a minute the love and care he is receiving, but it sounds like that vet wants to use him for research rather than treatment.

I'm sorry, I don't know any of the facts, and here I am inserting myself.

Sometimes the medical community just really gets to me, LOL...

Good luck in your search for the right treatment. I'm glad he's doing better and feeling better.

Here is an article I found interesting. I was looking to understand better exactly what causes canker.

http://www.equipodiatry.com/canker1.htm

Roseann

M Matz/Barbaro Artwork Proceeds Benefit Barbaro or Laminitis Fund

• Edited 6/19/2007 11:07 pm by regalmrj

6/19/07

Christine,

I'm so happy that Micah is doing so well.  He's been in my thoughts.  Thank you for the update and doing what's in his best interest.  He is such a beautiful boy.  Will be waiting to hear further updates on him.

Thanks,

Barb 

6/19/07

Hi Christine,

I'm glad to hear that Micah is doing so well.  I wonder why Valley Equine has chosen to take such an agressive approach to treatment?  Curious.

I know you'll make the best choice for the big guy.

Best of luck with him.

6/19/07

HI CHRISTINE, I AM SO HAPPY MICA IS OUT OF QT!!!!!

HUGS AND KISSES TO HIM....PLEASE KEEP US POSTED...I DID NOT REALIZE THE CANKER WAS SO RISKY TO CURE?

BE WELL....

JENNY

6/20/07

If you have not yet, please get in touch with drafthorsemd on this board or MayS on Coth. She has dealt w/ canker on several horses before and may be of some help.

Thanks Christine -

I was wondering how Micah is doing!

I'm all for the slowly-but-surely routine.  I'd hate to see a something happen to Micah, especially now that he is doing so well.  Unless there is an urgency for a radical surgery that could cause him great harm, I wouldn't do it either. 

I hope his progress continues and it won't be necessary to do anything that will put him in jeopardy! 

Love to hear when they are gettin happy and sassy!!

Dawn